Saturday, June 24, 2017

DIY Deep Conditioning Rhassoul Clay Cubes

I tried these out about a year ago. Or more. I really liked the ones that you can buy from Anita Grant. But I don't always have Anita Grant money- the shipping combined with the pounds to dollar rates can be killer. So I decided to try and make my own. 

I actually made a bunch of different kinds the first time I tried. Ones with Argan Oil, some with Walnut, some with Coconut Oil, some with Babassu. And I actually really liked the idea of them. I sat a bunch in the fridge and found they don't really last as long as I would like and they are a little hard to get the texture right so they don't melt. So I'm still experimenting.

Also the scent was a bit hard to get right! I ordered a ton of different fragrance oils before I discovered I really loved just using essential oils. Something about the artificial scenting just didn't vibe with natural scents of the Cocoa and Shea Butter.

So on to todays experiment.

I started by adding Rhassoul and Bentonite clay. Rhassoul is a little less drying and I like to combine it with the Bentonite which is super good for drawing out impurities. About three tablespoons in all!

Then I added Vatika Oil. Which is basically enriched Coconut oil. I'm low on regular Coconut Oil. I think I added a little over a two tablespoons  and mixed it until smooth. Actually I think I went a little overboard and should have added a lot less because they came out a bit softer and meltier than they should be. Whoops.

I also added some rosemary and peppermint essential oil-because I like a little scent. I think I added five rosemary and five peppermint. It doesn't smell very strong- just a slight scent. 

Then I melted some Cocoa Butter. Probably not enough and mixed that in too. It was kind of liquidy at the time. I should have added more the clay. But I just went ahead and put in into the molds I bought off eBay. I was too lazy to clean off my little plastic spoon. You can't use metal- because metal reacts with the clay.


Popped them into the freezer for a little while. Then popped them out the molds and was left with some super cute clay hair mask cubes. 


All I have to do when I'm ready to use is add some super hot liquid- tea, coconut water, plain water. You can add some honey. Really whatever you would like. Until you have a mud consistency. Smooth it through sections of hair- you can comb through. Let is set at least an hour. 
See? All melty-but cute!

And then I have super clean, curls popping, ready to drink up some moisture hair. I think I will go ahead and use a few tonight to see how I like this particular mix.

In the meantime, if you would like you can check out my old review on the Anita Grant ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment