Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Kulche Badami (Afghan Almond Cookies)

Cookie baking time! I haven't been making as many cookies as I could/should be. Which is sad. It means when I don't make cookies- I don't eat them. For the most part. I don't do packaged cookies. Unless they are waffle cookies from Belgium. All other packaged cookies are a no. Only real cookies, made with real ingredients for me. I'm a cookie snob, with no shame.

Anyway, I've made one Afghan desert. And I really liked it. I think I like these cookies more though. I noticed looking through the dessert recipes, most are cardamom flavored, which I appreciate. I really like cardamom and not enough recipes use it!

This is the first time I've made Almond cookies. Almond cookies call for almond flour, which is expensive. But I think these were worth it. 

All I did was mix the flours, cardamom, and sugar. And also the cream of tartar into the dry ingredients because I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize it wasn't supposed to go in the egg whites. But I added some there too!

Speaking of egg whites, I also didn't realize you are supposed to beat them until they have soft peaks. Or until your arm falls off. Luckily I had my sister to help. If I would have been thinking and read the recipe ahead I would have used the mixer- which I did use to mix the dry ingredients. Dry ingredients I could have whisked together. 

Also about those egg whites, I used three chicken egg whites. And then 1 egg white from a duck. I found duck eggs in the store and wanted to try them out. They were on sale. And supposedly are great  for baking. 

Anyway, a little mixing, a little powdering, and a little almond pressing later, I was ready to bake them. They didn't look done after 15 minutes but I took them out anyway and I'm glad I did. They were perfect. 

I didn't take many pictures of the process. But they were good. And if I didn't want to try more afghan cookie recipes, I would definitely make these again. I still have some Almond flour that's not going to waste...so maybe I will.

You can check the recipe for yourself here! I got it from afghankitchenrecipes.com.

Here's the pic-I could have taken a better one. Also....I was supposed to make these much, much smaller. But...I didn't feel like rolling cookies all day. And I like a bigger cookie-because I can eat more in less cookies. Ha!


Mmmm. Cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment