Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Savory Coconut Rice

It took me forever to learn to make rice. I didn't really learn how to make it until about two years ago. I would cook it and it would be too hard, too gummy, or burned to the bottom of the pot. Then one day, I followed the directions on the back of a bag of Jasmine Rice (imagine that!)  and it worked out. And now it's really easy. I haven't really played around with making different types of rice. I think once I added some chopped tomatoes and basil-but that's as fancy as I've gotten.

So I was excited to try out the recipe.

I cut corners and used a can of coconut milk. I usually like to blend up my own coconut milk. And I added the clove of garlic. And followed directions. Which was a mistake. I don't like to cover the rice until after I've brought it to a boil. Keeping it covered from jump resulted in a boiled over mess.

Somehow it still came out though. And to my surprise it was simple but really good. The coconut milk makes it really buttery- with no actual butter. It's also a little sticky. I bet it would be great in sushi. Or maybe not. It might be overpowering.

I couldn't find lite coconut milk so I just used half and half of the coconut milk mixed with water.


I made chicken with a soy sauce "glaze" and steamed broccoli and dinner was done.

I'm definitely pinning this because I will absolutely be making it again. It's a nice alternative to plain old boring rice. Although...I still love plain, boring rice.

Click here to view the recipe. It's from Budget Bytes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment