Friday, January 5, 2024

Bath Buns, No Knead Ciabatta, and Vegetarian (Jackfruit) Crab cakes

 Feels like forever since I've done a food post- but that can't be right. Maybe I was just taking an end of the year break. I've probably made more bread in the last week than what I made the whole of last year. And I only really made two recipes. I should make bread more often. But then again, most of the bread here in Germany is top tier- it's only the US where it's a struggle to get good bread.




So we shall start with bath buns. They were created in the Bath, England and were a favorite of Jane Austin. I don't think I am likely to take a trip to Bath but they sound interesting enough, so I was pretty happy to give them a try for myself. They were surprisingly easy to make- I did have to buy some caraway seeds though. I would make them again but would omit the seeds- they are a bit strange tasting and don't seem like something that belong in a sweet bun- but they are there traditionally. I halved the recipe so I wouldn't have to worry about leftovers since the recipe said they don't keep. The bread itself was nice- really fluffy and rich. 




Next up, Ciabatta bread. This is the easiest bread I have ever made. It's so hands off, it feels like you aren't doing much of anything at all. Just mix the ingredients the night before. Let them sit. Shape it, Let it sit again. Then bake. So easy I shaped during my work breaks and baked on my lunch break. The crust was perfectly crisp. And crunchy with the corn meal. Perfect bread. With good flavor. Letting it sit really helps the flavor to develop....Will make this again and again. I turned it into dinner by making them into spicy fish sandwiches.


And last up- crab cakes. I had a can of jackfruit in the cabinet I've been meaning to use and found out you can make vegan "crab cakes". Mine weren't vegan because I used egg and mayo in them. I just kinda looked at a bunch of recipes and did my own thing. They weren't bad. I'm not a big fan of crab cakes anyway though. But they were good to take for lunch at work.  Served with salad and garlic parmesan mashed potatoes. 


And that's all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment