Sunday, April 14, 2024

Harlem Candle Co. Lady Day Candle Review

 I've had a lovely (and very lazy) weekend. Sad that the weekend is ending. Figured I would cap the day off with a candle review. This one was gift from my sister for Christmas. She asked what I wanted and this one had been on the wishlist for quite a while....I hope she was able to get it on sale! She also made me the most beautiful handmade bag (LOVED that too!) 

 

Harlem Candle claims:

When Billie Holiday sang the blues, the world was immediately seduced by her torchy tones. Throbbing, compelling and spellbinding… they called her Lady Day and she beckoned you closer and gripped you in your very soul. Dare to discover the smoky shadows and secret salons where she reigned supreme. Our "Lady Day" candle evokes the irresistible excitement of her Harlem nights and joyful appetite for life.

Inspired by the white gardenia she always wore in her hair, a luminous opening of lush green leaves, neroli blossom and sparkling bergamot lead to a velvet heart of creamy gardenia, jasmine petals and ylang ylang. Coffee flower adds a spicy nuance, and a warm, addictive base of coconut milk, sandalwood and vetiver provide the perfect finish to this intoxicating blend that is vibrant and full bodied, yet graceful and delicate. Just like Lady Day herself.

Notes:
Top: Lush Green Leaves, Neroli Blossom, Sparkling Bergamot
Middle: Gardenia, Jasmine Petals, Ylang Ylang, Coffee Flower
Base: Coconut Milk, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Volume: 11 oz
Diameter: 3.25 in
Height: 4.25 in
Burn time: 80 hours

I didn't really grow up listening to Billie's music- but I definitely knew exactly who she was. I think my Mom talked about her when I was growing up, I think she even convinced me that she was my Dad's favorite.Which I don't think was necessarily true. Anyway...I do have quite a few songs by Miss Holiday. Including Lover Man, The Man I Love,  Them There Eyes, Love Me Or Leave Me, God Bless the Child, Fine and Mellow, and Ain't Nobodies Business. So a decent collection of her music. I watched all her biographical movies- except the newest one. I have a hard time watching drug addiction

Also have a hard time listening to Strange Fruit. I cannot listen to her recording of Strange Fruit. Just the imagery of the song...I can't handle it. 

She was so influential, iconic, talented, and on and on. I'm so glad there is a brand paying tribute to African American greats. I love Harlem Candles for that. 

The candle is gardenia- inspired by the gardenias she used to wear in her hair. I only recently learned those were gardenia. I have had a few gardenia scented candles so I think I am familiar with how the flower smells. It's also supposed to have coffee flower- which I have no idea how that smells. So basically a white floral scent. 



I mostly get Gardenia. Which I think is a floral scent that seems to be popular for more mature women. I couldn't see younger me liking this type of scent. I wasn't even really too sure about it because I kept trying to burn it at night- while I was just relaxing on the couch and it was meh. Then I tried burning it when it was light and sunny outside with all the windows open...and I LOVE IT. Time of day and season can affect how you feel about a candle scent. 

It is pretty strong too...at least in my space it is but it might be different if you have a really large and open space. I love the strength of these candles. I don't find this one to to linger as much as some of the other scents by the brand but as long as it has throw when lit- that's OK with me. 

Other than that, the burn time does claim 80 hours. Ummm. I don't think so. They do tend to burn down very quickly- especially with the two wicks. You do also have to keep an eye on it because these also tend to soot and smoke after having them lit awhile. I do wish they would do more one wick candles as I enjoy those more. It does at least burn across evenly as long as long as the room is warm enough without any help. 

The packaging is always lovely...comes in a box so it would make a nice gift idea for those that like the scent of gardenia. Or are Billie Holiday fans. 

I would definitely buy this one again...specifically to burn during nice sunny, warm days. Especially if I caught it on sale. I do have a few more that I want to try from the brand though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment