Sunday, September 15, 2024

Le Labo Santal 33 Eau De Parfum Review


I think this is one of the most hyped up scents of the past few years. I have heard so much about this brand- the candles etc in this Santal scent so it was top of the list for things I wanted to try..It is definitely a unique scent but since it is so popular it is a scent that is being duped by other brands. When I went to the states I was browsing the candle section of TJ Max and there were quite a few more affordable version of this. So you don't have to spend Le Labo money to get the same vibe- but I do love trying the original of the scents when I can. 

Le Labo claims:

Imagine sitting in solitude on the rugged, wide plains of the American West, firelight on your face, indigo-blue night skies above. There is nothing around save for the soft, desert wind. You. Are. Free.

From this defining vision was born SANTAL 33: a perfume that touches the vast and wild universality of this dream... that intoxicates... It combines a mix of cardamom and notes of iris and violet, which crackle in the formula. Added to this smoking wood alloy (Australian sandalwood, cedarwood) are some spicy, leathery, musky notes, giving this perfume its signature and addictive comforting scent.

Here is, in a few words, what SANTAL 33 is... An open fire... The soft drift of smoke... Where sensuality rises after the light has gone.

I was already familiar with the scent because I had a sample of a dupe from Mason Louis Marie. Scent No.4. And it does smell very similar. I can't really detect any difference but I did only have the sampler size from the Mason brand.

This is completely different from any scent I have ever had before...usually my type of scents have leaned more floral or oriental. This is something that falls into category of a woody-spice-smoke type of scent. It's supposed to be unisex. I would agree- but I do think it leans a bit more masculine. I haven't typically been a fan of unisex scents but of all the ones I have tried- this one is the most tolerable for me. But I definitely prefer to wear something more feminine. 

So many scents these days lean synthetic- and one thing I can say is all the notes really smell natural. To me, I do get some Sandalwood/Santal, but it takes a backseat to the spice. I mostly get cinnamon. A lot of people have mentioned a dill pickle note- luckily I don't get that. Oh..and it also has a smokiness to it. Maybe like a campfire but not too much. Just enough. To me it seems more of a basic scent with not too much complexity.

It does wear all day- I layer the scent and probably over spray. I think it does project and I don't really go "nose" blind to it like I can with other scents.

It's a nice perfume and I think if I smelled it on a man, I probably would not be able to get enough....but it's not me personally. I am interested in trying other scents from the brand- also interested in trying the body lotions/hand soaps but Santal 33 (perfume form) is not a repurchase for me. I do enjoy it more in candle form but the price is so high I am more likely to purchase dupes that give the same vibe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment