Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Harlem Candle Co Langston Candle Review

I thought it was going to take me forever and a day to get through my most recent candle stash but actually I have been breezing right through them. I think I am down to four candles, which is crazy. I only allow myself a max of ten to keep the candle collection under control. I've been burning this one on and off since Christmas and it's time to finally review it. I got this one for a steal from Macy's- $36. Around the holidays is the perfect time to stock up on this brand. That's actually when I bought the majority of mine. Otherwise they are pretty pricey at $48.

Harlem Candle Co claims:

The "Langston" candle celebrates elements of the jazz poets creative vision with fragrance accords reflecting some of the strong symbols in his life….

The worn vintage leather of his favorite armchair, aromatic tobacco laced with a hint of clove and vanilla from the pipes of the neighborhood men, and the smell of ambery incense that recalls his many visits to churches in Mexico.

A dramatic heart of heady jasmine and a warm background of resinous sandalwood round out this deeply personal blend that perfectly evokes Langston Hughes, a true Renaissance man.

Notes: 
Top: Nutmeg, Clove, Leather
Middle: Jasmine, Cade
Base: Vanilla, Sandalwood, Amber



I love this brand because they pay tribute to important people in African American history. There is nothing I love supporting more than brands like this. It is my favorite candle brand. The Josephine Candle is one I LOVE. So ...Langston Hughes- innovator of Jazz Poetry, founder of the Harlem Renaissance and so much more. 

But back to the candle...because we are here to review the candle that was inspired and named for Langston. This is a tobacco and amber scent. Tobacco is a very popular note in candles...and it definitely has a nighttime/jazz club type feel to it. As for the Amber- I think that's what makes the cold scent smell similar to the Josephine candle.  

When lit it does smell very nice. And it's also decently strong. When I leave the living room door open it will waft all the way to the kitchen. I definitely smell the tobacco and leather...and what I think is the amber base. But mostly I smell vanilla. A lot of it. It is in the same family as the Voluspa Baltic Amber candle for me, except I do think Langston is a bit more complex. I prefer this one over that one even though this is more pricey.  It's just a bit more sweet and vanilla than I wanted it to be. I don't think I pick up on the spice notes like nutmeg or clove. But I don't have the most experienced candle nose. 

I can definitely imagine this scent in a jazz club. It almost smells a bit out of place in my space. It smells like it should be burned in a place like this:


It lingers somewhat- depending on how long you have it lit. I would say maybe an hour or two most times. There was once or twice when I woke up and smelled it in the living room the next day but I think it's because it was going for a few hours.

It is an 11 oz candle with two wicks. The burn time is supposed to be 80 oz. I don't know about that though. These candles seem to burn very quickly in my opinion. I have had much smaller candles that seem to burn longer than these do. Also you have to be careful to trim the wicks. Trim them very low. Otherwise the candle really does burn way too quickly and it will soot and smoke after awhile. It's a soy wax, which is cleaner than paraffin. But not the cleanest burning. I think Palm Wax and Coconut Wax are more low maintenance and less likely to soot.

The packaging is nice. It comes in a box with the Harlem Map on it and in a nice blue glass. I love the box, wouldn't really say the label or the glass design is my favorite. But it is nice.

It really does seem to have the same DNA as the Josephine candle but it's different enough that I have a clear preference for that candle over this one. This one is still nice...it's just not my favorite. I can see why it's a top seller and I am happy I was able to try it out. I just love the inspiration for this brand and this candle in particular and I will not stop until I try them all! 

I highly recommend trying out the brand though, I always feel especially good when I support black owned businesses.




No comments:

Post a Comment