Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Afghan Recipes: Halwa

 Staying true to my recipe rotation...it was time to make a recipe from Afghanistan. More dessert recipes. The last couple I did  I used the recipes as inspiration and made stuff inspired with Cardamom and Pistachio flavors. It worked out well for me. 

This time I followed the recipe mostly as written. I kinda merged it a little bit with another recipe I found online and tried to change it where I saw fit.

I think Halwa is probably amazing..but this recipe as written needs work. It's basically a sweet cream of wheat with nuts and dried fruit and cardamom flavoring. I actually really like the cardamom flavoring..although I'm not sure I would switch out my regular cinnamon spice (I love cream of wheat)  for the cardamom. It was good to try something different. 

As written the recipe had way too much butter and sugar. I even scaled the sugar back..instead of a cup I used a little under 3/4 and it was still too sweet. If I made it again I would use way less butter, and only 1/4 cup of sugar if not less.

But I probably wouldn't make it again myself...but I would try it in a restaurant just to see how it's really supposed to taste.


You can check the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment