Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Guerlain Shalimar Eau De Parfum Reveiw

 

Shalimar, a generational favorite in my family. My mom is a longtime wearer of it and she told me when I got my bottle that my grandma would buy it too (some store in New York, I can't remember now!). It's been around since 1921. It's the 2nd best selling perfume and because I'm very interested in trying out some of the perfumes that have been around/in production for a long times, I had to get my hands on it. I bought this bottle for $40 last year when Macy's had it as a Cyber Monday deal. A bargain! 



Guerlain claims:
In India of the 17th Century Emperor Shah Jahan fell head over heels in love with Princess Mumtaz Mahal. For her, he had the magical Shalimar gardens built and also dedicated the Taj Mahal, one of the seven new wonders of the world, to them. This incredible fairy tale inspired Jacques Guerlain's imagination and inspired him to develop the first oriental perfume in history in 1925.

The Shalimar bottle designed by Raymond Guerlain won first prize at the exhibition of decorative art in Paris in 1925. Its curves reflect the basins of the famous Shalimar gardens. The fan-shaped closure in transparent sapphire blue reminds of the eternal fountains of the garden

The fragrance contains notes of bergamot, lemon, iris, jasmine, rose, patchouli, vetiver, opopanax, tonka bean, frankincense, sandalwood, musk, civet, ambergris, leather, and vanilla. It is considered to be an Oriental perfume 


The bottle is still essentially the same design with a few changes. Definitely unique and one I am glad to add to my bottle collection. I have the cute little one ounce, which I believe is the original size. They sell much larger bottles (at high prices) which is probably worth it, if you are a fan. 

As for the actual scent, I can see why it is loved by many. It's elegant, long lasting, without being over powering or even old lady. It's powdery, sophisticated elegance. Also, a little nostalgic for me, since it's something my mom used, it has that familiar scent memory every time I smell it. 

I don't use it very often,  I kind of want to have the bottle I have forever...it just feels like one of those staple scents. A must have and always have. 

I can't tell you much about the notes...it has some deeper notes that aren't present in most of the the perfumes I have gone for...but some notes that I'm happy to see even if I can't pick them out. Jasmine, Bergamot, Patchouli, leather, vanilla, and a new one I haven't seen in any perfume I have used (or at least I never noticed- Frankincense). 

Overall, I love it. Not something I will wear often but worth buying! 



No comments:

Post a Comment