Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Week Three with Hello Fresh

 At least I think it's week three. I got my last box on Saturday and have made all three meals. Made the last one today. And...well. I definitely wasn't as impressed with this box. I think I like Marley Spoon a lot better. 

Anyway...here's what I made.


The first meal was a supposed to be a Turkish dish...or Turkish inspired. Honestly...actual Turkish food is so much better than this. The bread was good...but weird. It was almost like nachos with uninspired toppings. I already forgot most of the flavor and I just had it Monday. The technique I will probably take and use in other things I made was roasting and pureeing the eggplant into a sauce. I haven't found many great eggplant recipes. I've found..just OK , wouldn't make it again recipes with eggplant so I think it will be fun to make a tomato sauce with roasted eggplant puree. 



The next dish was a pasta with pesto and fried chicken strips. I don't know what kind of basil or herb that was but it didn't have much flavor. But...it really is super easy to make your own pesto. I definitely need to make my own again. I also added some extra garlic and it was too garlicky.  But that's my fault. The true star was the fried chicken strips. They were amazing. Just chicken breast dredged in mayo with seasoning, breaded, and pan fried. I had to finish it off in the oven otherwise it would have been a little raw. Definitely doing that again! So half of the recipe was a star.



And the last recipe I made today.... It was glass noodles with "bulgogi" and veggies like zucchini. I've had the most amazing bulgogi before. And even made it myself. This is not bulgogi. It shouldn't be ground beef...but for some reason I saw the name and was like I need that in my life. I love glass noodles so that's part of why I bought it. But this is a no. I think they are being cheap by using ground beef in a lot of the dishes and don't recommend the recipes that use it...at all! I think the bulgogi sauce was lacking too. Definitely have had much better sauce and even made better sauce myself. It was OK.


Overall, except for the chicken strips...I wasn't a big fan of this box. 



No comments:

Post a Comment