Sunday, July 24, 2022

A look back: Too Faced Original Chocolate Bar

 Did you know that Too Faced came out with another Chocolate Bar palette? I remember when they first one came out....I think it might be the first higher end palette I purchased at full price. It was my Gateway. I even bought the follow up palette (Semi-Sweet- didn't love it). I didn't get Chocolate Bon Bon- too cool and looked a bit childish...and all the other palettes that came out I just wasn't interested in. I can only think of the White Chocolate though. Any I am missing? IDK . Somewhere along the way, they completely stopped producing them which was kind of surprising. I really like the Original Chocolate Bar. It has a sweet vanilla/cocoa powder scent. Not necessarily chocolate. I haven't tried many other scented eyeshadows but I do really like the scent of this. And it still smells like chocolate all these years later


Better Than Chocolate

Better than Chocolate looks interesting but I don't need any new shadows...

After all these years, the Chocolate Bar is still one of my favorite palettes. I liked it even more than the Urban Decay Naked palette. I like it so much I sometimes avoid using it so I can have it forever. I'm working on that mindset though. Eyeshadows don't go bad (no water in the formulation) as long as you take care of them. I always use clean brushes, keep my palettes in a cool dry place, examine them for any changes, etc. 

So let's look at all the colors.




Gilded Ganache- This is green/brown shade. I really like the shade, but the quality could be better. It's not terrible, just takes a little more work. It kinda has a grunge feel to it, which I don't have a lot of in my collection. I like it on me. And it's pretty versatile too. Makes a pretty liner. 

White Chocolate- One thing I hate about the palette is the huge pan of white shadow/light shadow. I don't like these colors in my palette at all and definitely don't want a huge pan of it. It's just a color that does nothing for me. It has warmer tones than some...so it's not terrible. But not a color I need. They changed the pan size in more recent palettes.

Milk Chocolate- I really love Milk Chocolate. It's a cooler light brown. I love the tones in the palette and the fact that colors that typically turn into the same shade of brown on me, don't. This is a nice base shade. Or blend out shade. I just really like this one.

Black Forest Truffle- This one is like a sparkly burgundy brown shade. I've never been much into this one. The sparkles just don't come through and it mostly shows up matte. I should probably try it as a liner. It's not unusable, it's just not that great. Somehow it looks pretty in a swatch though. IDK.

Triple Fudge- A really deep cool toned brown. Makes a great liner. Or even a nice outer corner  color for deep bronzed, eyes. This is a color that seems to be missing in a lot of my newer palettes so I am happy to have it, even though I don't really reach for it a lot. 



Salted Caramel- One of my favorite shades. It is the perfect, brightening lid shade. I finally found a dupe in one of my Viseart palettes so I can start using this again. I do prefer this one over the Viseart though, I think it might be the texture and how it builds up? I don't know. They should make this in a single. It doesn't look special in a swatch but it is.

Marzipan- At some point Marzipan was a shade I used everyday. It's like Urban Decay's sin but better. More orange to it, but not really orange. I use it mostly in the inner corner/lids these days. Looks nice with Salted Caramel. Could be a nice layering shade as well.

Semi-Sweet- This is another unique toned brown that shows up so nicely on my skintone. I love this color. I don't think I will ever find a "replacement" of this color. Love it, Love it, Love it!

Strawberry Bon Bon- A light pink shade. I don't like it. It's not really flattering on me, I use it as a brow bone highlight and mostly wipe it all off. Will probably end up digging this one out.

Candied Violet- Most reviewers seem to hate this shade and I love it! It is the prettiest purple with reddish mini sparkles in it. The trick is you have to use Fix Plus or something to wet it. Then it's beautiful. Or use a purple base. I don't think this is dupable either. I don't use it often but I love it when I do!



Amaretto- This might be my favorite row. Amaretto is a low shimmer reddish shade, that really goes well with Cherry Cordial. Took me years to try it out, but I love the look I get with those two shades.

Hazelnut- Perfect lid shade. And just something about these tones. I just feel like they compliment my skin tone. I could wear this as an everyday shade, everyday. (Went dull so I used half and tossed it)

Creme Brûlée- Another everyday shade with more gold to it. Sometimes golden shades can look a little odd on me but this is perfect, not too much yellow to it at all.

Haute Chocolate- This one is a little darker than my go to lid shades but that's OK. When I'm going for that look, this is a good one. It seems a little drier than the other shadows but the shadows are a little on the dryer side anyway. I think that works well for my eyelids since I think that helps lasting power. I have never had an issue with these wearing off or creasing. 

Cherry Cordial- A little different than your usual brown. I love this color, especially mixed with Salted Caramel. 



Champagne Truffle- A pinkish shimmer shade, an OK inner corner color. Not something I needed a large size of. If I ever finish the other shades, I would probably ending up just digging this one out.

Overall, one of my favorite palettes..even still after all these years and trying many other palettes.


No comments:

Post a Comment