Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Dyptique Baies Candle Review


Ah, my very first Dyptique candle. Supposedly they are the gold standard of candles. Their birthplace is Paris, I knew I wanted to pick up some candles when we went to Paris but wasn't sure where. We were roaming around the store popped up out of nowhere. It was their flagship store. I picked up two candles- Baies and Santal. I picked up Baies basically because it's their most popular candle across social media and reviews. So I wanted to see what the hype was about..is it worth the hype?

Dyptique claims: 

What it is: An irresistibly fresh and fruity scented candle that warms your heart and home.

Fragrance story: Closely related to L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, diptyque Baies Scented Candle features a bouquet of roses and blackcurrant leaves.

Style: Fruity.

Made in France





These candles are not cheap, but I didn't pay the price they are in the US and with the exchange rate being so great, I would say I definitely got a great deal on them. We smelled almost all of the candles, the sales lady was so nice and patient as we sniffed most.  I pretty much walked in the store already knowing I was taking Baies home with me.

 It's black currant and rose with some fresh "green" scent. Maybe the foliage. I don't think I've ever smelled actual Black Currants but I have smelled some scents that use it (from Lush) and I have had a black currant tea. From my idea of Black Currant, I think it's accurate. It's kinda like a sour (tart) berry scent, and the rose just lingers off it perfectly while having a fresh green foliage note.

The first time I lit it, I was in the love. It was a nose delight. My favorite was the way the Rose just lingers on the back the scent. Perfect. But subsequent burns didn't smell as great as the first, I think it was because I had the perfume sample of this scent and it just smells more complex and keeps that freshness about it that's lost when I burn it. But I don't think I would have felt the same if I hadn't smelled the perfume. When lit it smells like a hot berry tea type of scent, but in a pleasant way.

It does smell very real. What's special about the brand is they don't use synthetic oils, all their scents are  sourced from raw materials. That's pretty rare these days.

Almost forgot to talk about the throw...it took awhile to get going the first time I lit it. It's not the strongest scented candle, it's more a background candle, it's there but soft and not overwhelming. It does scent my room, which is large and drift out the hallway a little too.

I did have trouble getting it to burn to the edges when I first got it and had to make a foil tent to make it burn to the edges so as not to waste wax.

Overall, I wouldn't repurchase this as a candle, I would likely get the room spray though. Maybe I'll pick it up in the summer when it's too hot to burn candles but I still want the scent. I think I would enjoy it more spray form....


No comments:

Post a Comment