Saturday, July 22, 2023

Molton Brown Coastal Cypress and Sea Fennel Bath and Shower Gel Review

 I'm trying to do a better job of trying out new brands instead of renewing the same old, same old. So I got my hands on some Molton Brown. Actually I have quite a few shower gels (sample size) from the brand since I purchased a gift set. Molton Brown is a UK brand that had a royal warrant from Queen Elizabeth since 2012- I wonder which were her favorite products/ scents? Hmmm.

Molton Brown claims:

A salt-sprayed collision of the ocean swell against rugged outcrops. The shore air fresh with crisp fig leaves mingled with unexpected, punchy cardamom, joyful bergamot and marine notes. Bracing cypress, cedarwood and musks bring natural, earthy appeal. Explore on the edge; awash your senses with a sea-soaked quest. 

Coastal. Bracing. Intrepid.

Made in England.


I decided to start with this one since I'm not a huge fan of oceanic type of scents. Mine is the 3.3 ounce size which is pretty generous-especially at the price I got it. I bought it on sale and I think I ended up paying a little less than $6 for each gel (cheaper than Lush). 

So we will start with the scent. It smells like something you would find in an upscale hotel. More on the masculine side. Very oceanic and watery. It smells like dusty fennel...I'm not sure I cypress. The scent is transportive though. It feels like early mornings on a boat lined with trees, salty, crispy, slightly chilly morning air in your face. Very fresh scent. It's not overly strong though you can smell it and it does linger on your skin. It smells like quality..and it smells pretty unique to me (kinda reminds me of a Lush Eucalyptus scent slightly though). 

It's unisex but more masculine unisex so while it was a nice scent to experience, it's not my favorite and I will probably give the rest to my Dad so he can try it out. 

It's a blue, transparent gel. A little watery but still lathers up well, cleans well, rinses easily and is not too drying.

The ingredients are....well they have a lot of stuff in them. Not necessarily a great looking ingredient list. But I feel like more expensive shower gels don't really have luxe ingredients that look very different than something cheaper. I guess all the money goes toward the fragrance? I don't know.

Ingredients:

Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance/Parfum, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sorbitan Caprylate, Caprylyl Glycol, Peg-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Propanediol, Polyquaternium-7, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Ppg-2 Hydroxyethyl Cocamide, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Diethylhexyl Syringylidenemalonate, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Limonene, Linalool, Blue 1/Ci 42090, Red 33/Ci 17200, Yellow 5/Ci 19140.

Overall I'm glad I tried it out. Not sure I would buy anything else in this scent (maybe the bath salts?). It is a quality scent and something I think would make an excellent gift for those that like aquatic/unisex  scents or just a nice gift for a man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment