Monday, October 23, 2023

Byredo Bibliothèque Fragranced Candle Review



 This candle was a splurge. Last year we got a nice Holiday bonus from work and I wanted to use some of it to splurge on something I might not otherwise have bought. Also I saw this candle HYPED on social media. I did see the candle last year when we went to France and a part of me wished I picked at least one up while I was in the store- but I couldn't really smell the scents well in the store so then I went home to buy one blind (makes no sense but that's what I did). 

Byredo claims:

Sheltered from the passage of time, libraries have the power to teleport us to a world in suspension. The velvety quality of the paper embodied in a touch of peach, plum and vanilla and the omnipresent patchouli like a backbone runs through the composition.

Burn time 60 hours

  • Top: Plum, Cinnamon
  • Heart: Leather Accord, Violet
  • Base: Birch Woods, Patchouli, Vanilla
  • Made in France

So Bibliotheque translates to library. At first I was confused- what could a library smell like? Then I read the description and it clicked. Especially once I got the candle. Because I absolutely love the idea of a library scented candle. Maybe because I love books.

My ideal candle scents are night time cozy scents. I'm not usually into the daytime fresh scents unless it's a floral. And this candle fits my candle wants perfectly. 

It has a prominent leather scent- for the leather bound books. I don't have any leather bound books but I really wish I did! And it has a fruitiness to it...a mellow sweetness. Maybe the vanilla? I can't say I get patchouli...maybe? IDK. It mostly blends in with everything. Much like the peach/plum. It's just well-blended and you mostly smell a sweet leather smell. It is definitely more complex that some of your cheaper candles. I just read the notes and I'm a little shocked at the cinnamon. I'm not the biggest fan of cinnamon...I don't think it stands out too much at all.

When I first got this candle, I didn't really like the leather notes. It just wasn't my thing but over time it has really grown into something I really like- maybe even love. 

It's pleasantly strong, I can smell it throwing fragrance a few minutes after I light it. It can scent a larger room but takes time to build up scent. For a huge open space it might only do one side but you will definitely be able to smell it on the side of the house that it's lit. The only bummer is it doesn't really seem to last once you blow out the candle.

It has a very unique look with the heavy black jar and white labeling. I really like the look of the candles. They look very modern.

Now for the performance of the candle...it can be on the wild side. The candle is quick to smoke and soot and the flames can get crazy pretty quickly, especially if you don't stay on top of trimming the wicks. You really have to keep an eye on it and not burn it too long. For the price, you would definitely expect better. The price is so high I don't even want to say what it was except to say it has gone up in price substantially since I bought it last year. I think mine was 5 Euro cheaper than the current price. 

I'm not sure what the wax is, a google search shows it to be beeswax and vegetable wax. It is a bit more firm than other waxes- kinda like paraffin. It seems to melt OK in a warmer room. I don't have many issues with tunneling. I feel like the wax might be paraffin actually.

 If I won the lottery and had millions of dollars, my dream would be to build my own library complete with bookcases all the way up really high ceilings. The ceilings would be so high I would have those moving ladders to get to the top. The walls would be a dark, moody blue. And I would stockpile these candles by the dozen to always burn in that space. Maybe something like this without that light fixture or chair. Probably higher ceilings than the picture too. 


If only I could win the lottery.

Anyway, I do really like the scent...but that price and the fact that the performance is not perfect..... I could see myself craving this scent in a couple years though and buying another. I would buy another Byredo as a treat...just not often. I can really make it last though with how rarely I pull it out to burn. I will probably have this one for another few months and then hopefully I'll get another.

Have you tried anything from Byredo? 



No comments:

Post a Comment