Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Le Creuset Dutch Oven Review


Sometimes, I really like cooking. Sometimes. I don't remember exactly how I heard about Le Creuset but I started researching them and then decided I really wanted to buy one. So I did. I was moving into my own apartment (all by myself) and I wanted some really nice cookware. I figured it would encourage me to cook. So on Black Friday in 2016, I ventured out to an outlet mall (that was ridiculously crowded) and splurged on a dutch oven and a frying pan. But I'm only reviewing the Dutch Oven today.

So Le Creuset has quite the reputation. I think the first time I saw them without realizing what they were was on the Cosby Show. Remember when Heathcliff was making his killer spaghetti sauce and he made a big deal of making it from scratch? It was actually Mrs. Farber's Hot and Spicy BBQ sauce. Ha.


Anyway, Le Creuset is made in France and they've been making them since 1925. I know they have cheaper ones out there but I wanted the original. And I also wanted something that I knew had a reputation for lasting and something I could hand down one day. So I splurged.

I bought the 4.5 quart in Palm.  It was super hard to pick the color. And size. It's not the largest, but it works. Although I think sometimes I should have gotten the five quart.

In the almost two years I've had it, I've used it a lot. I've made chili, spaghetti, soups, chicken wings, gumbo, dried beans, and more in my Dutch Oven. I love it for cooking. It heats up quickly. It holds heat well. It's pretty. And you can store it directly in the fridge. Or throw it in the oven.

 Bok Choy Soup
Browning Green Peppers and Onions for Stew

Poaching Salmon
 Stovetop Wings

And so much more.......

I love it. I really do. I even named it. My Dutch Oven's name is Kiwi. It was worth the 140 I paid for it and I really want to get one of the smaller ones. Or a sauce pan. But that's for another Black Friday sale.

The only problem I had was cleaning it. Clean up is pretty easy with most things. But when you are browning or burn the pot, it can be a little more challenging. You don't want to use anything too abrasive because that scratches the enamel. Big no no. The best way I have found to clean it is to boil water with a bit of baking soda for awhile and everything pretty much wipes away. Sometimes I add a little hydrogen peroxide to it, if it looks like it's discoloring.

It's my favorite pot.

Do you have any cookware you love? Share with me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment