Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Princess and the Frog: Chicken and Biscuits


Why have I never heard of Chicken and Biscuits? I have been missing out. And if you've never had it- so have you!

It's kind of like a chicken pot pie topped with biscuits. The best chicken pot pie topped with biscuits. I was really impressed when I looked over the recipe and found that you make everything from scratch. A lot of recipes will use those Campbells "Cream of"cans. And I hate those. I prefer not to cook with them because I think they are salt bombs and they taste straight up nasty

. Also, you make the biscuits from scratch. Which is great because I don't eat canned biscuits. 

So here's how you make it.....

You melt down 4 Tbls. of butter in an ovenproof pot. Then stir in 1 cup of chopped onion and a stalk of celery.  Cover it and let that cook down for 7-8 minutes- stirring occasionally. Then stir in 1/3 cup of flour.

Whisk 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock into the pan. As it thickens add in 1 1/2 cups of milk. Add 1/2 tsp of sage (I used fresh because I couldn't find dried), 1/2 tsp of thyme, 2 cups of mixed peas, carrots, and corn. Continue cooking for 5-7 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Heat the oven to 375 degree.

Make the biscuit topping by combining 2 cups of flour, 1 TBLS of baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Cut 1/4 cup of cold butter in. Pour in 3/4 cup of milk (I subbed buttermilk). and combine until it's just together.

Turn it out, knead it 2 to 3 times. Pat it about a 1/2 inch thick and use a biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits. Place them so they are barely touching in the pan.
Excuse the way my biscuits look- we have an evil oven and it has one temperature- which is burn it all! It still tasted amazing though!

Bake it 20-30 minutes. Let it cool 10.

And enjoy! It's comfort food at it's finest. Doesn't get any better than this for a fall meal. I'm pinning this and making it again- because like I said it's the best pot pie I've ever made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment