Monday, December 2, 2019

Kofta Pilau (Rice with Meatballs)

It seems like forever since I've posted any food recipes. It's not that I haven't been cooking. I've been making up recipes...successfully. It's true.

 First I made up some rice and beans that came out so good...I think I've added it into the rotation of things I will make every now and again to take for work lunch. It was that good. And then last week I made a tomato/pasta sauce that had raspberry balsamic vinegar and cream. It came out really good. I was really impressed with myself although I didn't know if it would work at first! 

On the other hand, the recipe I was supposed to post I failed twice. It was cream puffs. The first time they rose perfectly but I burned the mess out of them. The second time they were cooked well...but they didn't rise. So I've given up for now. But will be revisiting in a few weeks. 

Anyway...I decided to make the rice with meatball recipe from an Afghan website. It's been years since I've made meatballs. I forget how easy they are...and I should probably make the more often.

I find Afghan rice dishes to be very step heavy. They definitely aren't your 20 minute dinners. But they are pretty interesting and I always feel like I learn a new cooking technique. This time I learned you can cook meatballs in a broth like water and they can come out pretty good! 

I followed the recipe as written. Except I did add a little seasoning to the water the meatballs cooked in...and I used a meat marsala we had in the cabinet. I have no idea where to find they spice it called for...but it was good enough. 

The recipe itself took quite awhile...and as always I don't think the recipe is written the best. I mixed the egg with the meatballs because they seemed to have forgotten about it in the written directions.

I also didn't bake it anywhere near what they called for...I think I baked about 30 minutes. Otherwise I feel it would have dried out. And it actually came out really good.

Surprisingly I really like it...I kind of had my doubts. I almost forgot to mention I left the cilantro/coriander leaves out. I like the powder but hate the fresh stuff....
Not the most photogenic, but it is what it is! 

I don't know that I would cook it again...but it was fun to try and I really did actually like it.  Plus it made a huge portion! 

Click here to check out the recipe for yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment