Sunday, January 26, 2020

Spaghetti and Meatballs

Today was a cooking day. I was in the kitchen for hours. 

It all started with breakfast. 

I had this a recipe for Pear Ginger Oatmeal saved for a quite awhile. But I didn't really follow the recipe. I used regular thick cut oats instead of steel cut ones. I also used canned pears instead of fresh. And I left out the candied ginger. It still came out great. I really should make flavored oatmeal more often! Luckily I made enough to have leftovers for a couple of days...




Next, I got started on my Spaghetti with Meatballs. I made the Marina sauce first. Only because I like to simmer the sauce forever. I've made many different tomato sauces at this point. Mostly because I don't like the jarred ones anymore. I usually use already liquid tomato sauce but this time I used whole tomatoes (canned) and crushed them. It makes the sauce so much thicker and heartier. I should use that method more often. The sauce itself was pretty good. Basic. I usually like a bit of spice or I like to simmer it with some wine. But it's a good starter recipe for sure! Click here to check it out for yourself...


Next up..I made pasta dough. Yes...I made pasta dough! . It was super easy. I just threw eggs, salt, flour, and olive oil in the stand mixer and let it do it's thing for about 10 minutes. Forgot to take a picture though. But I'll link the recipe I used anyway...

In between I made the meatballs. All the cooking I've done and I don't think I've ever made meatballs with spaghetti. They were OK. I left out the Italian Sausage and halved the recipe. I added pepper and salt. I don't think it was listed in the actual recipe-linked here. .

I made HUGE meatballs. I was getting kind of a tired and didn't feel like rolling them smaller.



Then...I rolled out my pasta using a pasta roller. Look how pretty...I haven't mastered rolling it up for pics but maybe next time.

I even took a pic of it boiling.... It looks different from using dried pasta.


And drained...


And finally...all my hard work plated. 


There's a recipe from the blog I used where you use the meatballs with sauce and some provolone on some bread. But I've never been a fan of meatball subs so I'm going to skip it. For now I'm just super impressed with my fresh pasta!





No comments:

Post a Comment