Saturday, August 29, 2020

Caramel Apple Biscuits

I'm heartbroken today. I was scrolling through Facebook early this am and came across a  wordless post- no words just a picture of Chadwick Boseman. I thought it was such a strange post...so I went to the comments to read..and learned Chadwick passed away.. then went to do a search to see if it was true. I'm a big fan of Chadwick. My sister graduated from Howard and he was the speaker at her commencement ceremony. I got to see Chadwick from only a few feet away and his speech was phenomenal. He was just such an inspiration and I loved how as an actor he was selective with the roles he chose to portray as a black man.  I'm just so bummed. 

I need comfort food. Except I made these last week. This week, I made cookies, but we'll talk about those in another post.

These biscuits have a lot of steps. I started off making a faux cider. I just boiled apple juice all the way down with spices and had some "apple cider" It worked. Next I made the caramel. This was not my first go making Caramel. It's pretty easy..you just have to keep an eye out because it can burn quickly. I've never made it without butter. I like this version BUT a buttery caramel is life. 


I had tons leftover and ate caramel apples the rest of the week. Mmmm.

Next I toasted and coated the nuts. Another step you have to be careful with, because nuts burn so easily. They weren't my favorite toasted nuts...but they were good. I had some I made in a "banana ice cream" a few years back that were amazing. I need to make it again.

Next step was making the biscuits. Mine were a bit crispy-which I think helped it to stand up to the apples and ice cream. And actually had an apple flavor that surprised me. Almost forgot the mention I halved the recipe. Didn't need too much of this high calorie dessert hanging around.

And while the biscuits baked I made the apple filling. Which had me wanting to make an apple pie. I've made quite a few apple desserts. This apple filling was quick and tasted pretty good. BUT I've had better.

Assembled and topped with ice cream. I was planning to make the icecream- but didn't really want to overwhelm myself. 


It was good..but very sweet Almost too sweet. I liked it. But it was a lot of work and there are probably other apple desserts I would rather make/eat. But it was fun. 

I got the recipe from King Arthur Flour. 


No comments:

Post a Comment