Friday, September 18, 2020

Jollof Rice and Sweet Rolls

 I almost didn't write this post. But I'm sitting here doing...nothing. Listening to a little music. So why not?

I've never tried African Food. I'm 31 so that's pretty sad. I was really into watching a Ghanaian woman cook for awhile on youtube. I need to find her channel. She made all types of yummy (spicy) things. And I've always told myself I need to get around to trying it. Cooking it myself is probably not the best way...but I tried.

The recipe is a simple one, with simple ingredients. And it wasn't bad...but it was a little too basic. It was a lot better the next day and eaten cold, but missing a lot of the flavor I was expecting. I think it was the recipe though. It was OK. But I know there's got to be better out there. 

It could also be that I used chicken. Some sort of beef maybe would have provided a little more flavor.

The rolls on the other hand...amazing. I made dinner rolls from the scratch for the first time ever last week to take to my friends house. We had some amazing Mexican food and horchata. Which reminded me..I need to learn to cook some Mexican dishes. 

But back to the rolls. I made a different recipe because I didn't want to make the exact same thing twice in one week. These took a little longer to make and called for bread flour as well as all purpose and an egg which the first recipe didn't call for. They were both excellent. 


These almost had an Auntie Anne's pretzel taste with that light, fluffy homemade dinner roll. They were so good...I'm saving the recipe.  I also brushed mine with honey butter. 

You can find the recipe for the rice here. And the roll recipe here.

Highly recommend making the rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment