Friday, October 2, 2020

Chagrin Valley Babassu Marsh Mallow Natural Shampoo Bar Review

I'm so tired, yet I want to blog. But then again I feel too lazy. And if I try to go to sleep..it will probably take about two hours and then I'll be like -I coulda did the post. So here we are. Today, we talk Shampoo Bars. I ordered three bars last January. And I still have a good portion of this bar left. Three bars last...almost two years? And less than $30 for the three!

But all that means nothing if I don't like the bars. Luckily...I was 2 for 3. Only one of them I wasn't a big fan of. 

Chagrin Valley claims:

A natural shampoo bar made with emollient-rich, deeply nourishing babassu oil with a warm citrus ginger scent.  Recommended for thick coarsely textured hair, tightly coiled curly hair, dry and over-processed hair. 

  • Organic babassu oil moisturizes and restores hair strength and elasticity, for shiny, healthy-looking hair
  • Organic marsh mallow root softens, soothes and hydrates the hair and scalp
    • Provides relief from scalp irritation
    • Helps detangle hair for increased manageability
  • Great for coarse or kinky hair, hair that needs body, or dry hair
  • Aloe strengthens the hair shaft, makes hair smoother, silkier, and more manageable
  • Essential oils of lemon and ginger help restore body and shine and balance oil production
  • A Chinese folk remedy recommends rubbing ginger root on the scalp to stop hair loss

A sulfate free, silicone free, paraben free natural shampoo

    This reminds me of the Anita Grant Shampoo Bars.  Mostly because she features Babassu Oil pretty prominently. But they are different...and honestly I think you could get either one and be pretty happy with it. Chagrin Valley is more accessible if you live in the US, not to mention much more affordable, especially with shipping costs and the pound rate. 

I'll start off with scent. It claims to have a scent, but honestly it's basically unscented. I don't know if I've had it too long, but I don't remember a citrus scent even when I first bought it. It just smells like..soap. So we'll say it's basically unscented. Could just be my bar though.

The label claims it to be for course, kinky hair. My hair is kinky, not coarse. My hair is fine but I have a lot. So it looks thick when it's not. I like products targeted for coarse hair though because it usually is extra softening.

This cleans well, gets my mini curls popping, and softens/adds moisture. It's not stripping at all. The occasional vinegar rinse is good everyone in awhile. It provides extra cleansing and conditioning. And I can mostly skip conditioner. I only really condition every couple of weeks.

The texture is a little weird. It seems like it has little scrubby bits in it. I think it may be the soap formula or the way this batch was produced. It doesn't affect how it works though...not a big deal but thought I would mention anyway.

It even offers some detangling help. Not as much as the Ayurvedic Herb bar. But it does a great job.

I usually cut mine up into pieces. I find it lasts longer that way but it is easier to use a larger bar/piece as it lathers up quicker and makes more lather.  Using smaller pieces makes it take a little longer to get the job done.

Ingredients:

Organic Babassu Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Coconut, Organic Avocado, Organic Jojoba, Organic Mango Butter, Water, Organic Virgin Shea Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Organic Marsh Mallow Root, Organic Castor Bean Oil, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Walnut Oil, Organic Aloe Vera, Ginger Essential Oil, Lemon Essential Oil, Lime Essential Oil, Organic Rosemary Extract 

It will cost you $8.95. Which I think is a great price, considering the quality of ingredients, no plastic waste, and it lasts forever. 

I would recommend it. There's no shortage of great shampoo bars out there. And this is one of them. I would recommend giving it a try. You'll definitely be seeing it in my year end favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment