Friday, October 23, 2020

Pumpkin Cheddar Biscuits

 I was in fullcooking mode this week. I made crab legs on Sunday...and roasted my pumpkin and sweet potatoes. Then Monday did the biscuits and a Chipotle Pumpkin Lentil Soup (my own creation!). I had leftover pumpkin and rather than let it sit in the fridge until it went bad or freeze it, I just threw it in my soup.

I used the pumpkin that you see locally (in Germany), which are not the sugar pumpkins you get in the US. But I think they are similar enough that it works. Anyway, I just cut it in half, scooped the seeds and roasted in the oven until soft. Let it cool. Refrigerate.

Next day I scooped it and mashed it with a spoon. And pumpkin puree it was.


I grated cheese, mixed up some pumpkin spice (which has grown on me over the years), mixed up the dough. And baked. Mine came out a little flat but it didn't affect the taste.

They weren't bad. I thought they would be gross. Just cause pumpkin and cheese doesn't really sound like a good combo. I didn't use cheese powder and because of that I think they were missing another 1/4 tsp of salt. 

I actually liked them though. And they made good sandwhiches. I just put some turkey or chicken deli meat and mustard and had a pretty good sandwich with some sneaky healthy pumpkin. But overall the biscuits are definitely not a "healthy" recipe. 

It wasn't my favorite biscuit and I probably won't make them again BUT I'm glad I tried them out.

You can check the recipe here.

Then I made some soup. All I did was cook up an onion with some garlic. Add tomato paste, chicken stock, chipotle in adobo sauce. Let it meld. Then added water and lentils. All the leftover pumpkin. Let it get to know each other. Added salt and pepper. And then blended in the blender.

I impressed myself. I would definitely make again if I had leftover pumpkin for whatever reason. It would probably great as a curried soup too!


And that was my pumpkin party for the year. I try to make something pumpkin every year and this was it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment