Sunday, February 28, 2021

Ivory Bar Soap Review



The good old classic Ivory soap. And I do mean classic. It's been around forever..and I'm pretty sure every American has had a bar of it at some point or other. We used to stay in hotels every couple of years and would build up a mini stash of them..or was that Jergens?  Ehh. But it has been around for years. Since 1840 according to their site.

Ivory claims:
Ivory® Bar Soap provides a simple, effective clean for the entire family without breaking the bank! It is free of dyes and heavy perfumes and is 99.44% pure. Proudly made in the USA, Ivory is recommended by four out of five moms and has been a proven and trusted brand for more than 130 years. Also try Ivory Body Wash for a simple clean that leaves skin smooth and hydrated (vs. regular soap).
Ivory Bar Soap is free of dyes and heavy perfumes and reflects over 140 years of experience creating gentle products the whole family can trust.
  • Safe, pure clean trusted for generations
  • Dermatologist tested
  • Free of dyes & heavy perfumes
  • 99.44% PURE (it floats!)
  • Proudly made in the USA






The packaging has changed...but I remember this packaging most. Even though I'm sure we never really bought it. 



Anyway..I do remember my grandma teaching me to use Ivory to remove stains back in the day. It worked really well. Supposedly you can use it to wash dishes. It's great to clean makeup brushes. And probably a million other things.

The first thing I noticed was the scent. It smells like citronella. Especially when you first unwrap it. I was not expecting that at all and struggled to remember if it had smelled like citronella before. In the shower it's mostly soap scent, with a hint of citrus. The citronella doesn't come through in the shower. 

I used up two bars as hand soap. No irritation on my hands. And it didn't really dry my hands out either. I tried it on my face, and surprisingly it didn't cause any breakouts. My face was a little on the dry side. even after moisturizing. 

I also tried it to clean my make up brushes and it did a great job. No complaints.

And mixed results in the shower. It gets you squeaky clean (literally) but dries my skin out pretty badly. My skin looked ashy. Especially using it a couple days in a row. But it does lather nicely and rinse clean. It melts a little quicker than I expected too. But what can you except for a 3/$1 soap.

I love watching old commericals..as you can see they loved talking about it floating. Apparently if you were bathing in the river you couldn't lost your soap because it floated instead of sinking. But who bathes in the river anymore? 

 But as much as I love old commercials..I wasn't a fan fo the Ivory ones. I won't go into why...that's a whole other research paper but I'm sure if you watch them, especially the ones from the 60's you'll get what I mean.

They also love marketing as great for babies. I think a baby castle soap would be a better choice for baby skin..just due to ingredients, which aren't horrible but there are definitely better options.



Ingredients:
Sodium Tallowate And/Or Sodium Palmate, Water, Sodium Cocoate And/Or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Coconut Acid*, Palm Kernel Acid*, Tallow Acid*, Palm Acid*, Tetrasodium EDTA
Not vegan due to Sodium Tallowate


Overall, it's a classic. Your basic soap. I would try the Aloe one..but overall I think I prefer regular Dove White for my body. 


No comments:

Post a Comment