Tuesday, May 4, 2021

NYX HD Studio Photogenic Eyeshadow Base Review

 Remember when the Urban Decay Primer Potion was THE shadow primer? It seems like it was just everywhere at least a decade ago. It was the very first primer I tried. But it didn't really work that well on my eyelids. I wouldn't call my lids oily but shadows don't really stick and stay. And when it gets hot and humid shimmery shades tend to crease and then disappear altogether. So I'll probably be shadow primer user for life.

NYX claims:

Prep your eyelids with NYX Professional Makeup HD Eyeshadow Base. This lightweight eye shadow base primer makes skin appear smoother, more even, and ensures lasting eye makeup application with less creasing when applied to the eyelids before pigments. Excellent for increasing the longevity and payoff of your pigments and eyeshadows, this eyeshadow base primer is a must-have for your pro makeup kit.


This packaging is definitely different than other primers. Most of the ones I have tried have been in a small squeeze tube. This is like a lipgloss applicator. I like it. It may not be as hygienic as the squeeze tubes seem to be but that doesn't really bother me. 

 

When I first opened it, I was a little scared because I thought it was one of those primers with some color to it. Those typically tend to stand out and look ashy on my skin tone and I have to be careful to really cover it all so as not have have little ashy spots. But luckily this blends in and disappears. There seems to be a lot of product. It's easy to apply (sometimes quite a bit comes out) and easy to blend in.


 And it works.

My shadow really stays put for hours and hours! No creasing. 

I do notice that some shadows that are prone to fading still do fade. And it's not a primer that enhances the look of shimmery shades. So it's not perfect. But it keeps my shadow presentable. 

It doesn't affect blending at all. Some primers are sticky and when you put shadow on top it really sticks and is hard to blend out what you applied. None of that here!

It's affordable at $7. And NYX is sold almost everywhere. It's no longer hard to find like it was back in the day.

It's supposed to stay good for 18 months after opening. 

NYX is made in China. Which I always mention because a lot more drugstore brands than I realized are made in the US. NYX is not one of them and I always think it's worth noting. 

Overall, I really like it and it's one I would recommend for sure. 

UPDATE: I just noticed on the package that it has a warning stating it's flammable...I went to check my newest primer and no warning...probably wouldn't buy it again or recommend now. Just thought it was worth mentioning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment