Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Afghan Recipes: Kishmish Panir

 I made cheese! Again. A few years back I made ricotta cheese and was shocked to find out how easy it really is. But fresh cheeses usually are. I had some cheesecloth I've had at least three years..if not more so this recipe was its time to come out and shine. 

The recipe as written didn't work for me. I remember last time I made cheese I used lemon juice to curdle the milk. This time it was vinegar. Only nothing happened when I added the recommended amount. I ended up adding double. And maybe a little more until I saw some action. Then I stirrred it a bit and let it sit awhile before I tried to strain it and press. It was really hot. And I didn't have rubber gloves so it was a little bit of a painful struggle. 

But I did it. 

Then let my two quite large cheese balls set and cool down before I wrapped in foil and put in the fridge. For the next morning. I had it as suggested. With raisins. And added honey. It was nice. But even better the next day.

I had a ton and wasn't sure how long it would keep so I made a panir curry. And made that into sandwiches. It was really good. But kinda ugly so I didn't take pics. It's not a melty cheese. Which took me a bit to figure out. I was almost going to try it put it on pizza but that would not have worked well.

It was fun though. And If I was in the mood to make cheese or just had some extra cheesecloth laying around, I would definitely do it again. Especially since you get two generous size balls for the cost of the milk (2 dollars).

 


No comments:

Post a Comment