Saturday, October 23, 2021

Vitamix Fruit Granola with Cashew Coating and Remixed Afghan Stuffed Squash

First up, I made granola. I've made granola before...years ago. And it came out pretty good. In my head, I would love to be the type of person that makes granola on a monthly basis. But I'm too lazy. I will make it every now and again when a recipe comes about, which doesn't happen often. I was in the habit of buying it on a weekly basis when I lived in Maryland and shopped at a really nice upscale grocery store. They had the best granola in the bulk bins. Maple Pecan...and all kinds of great flavors. This one was different from any granola I've tried in that it was coated in a pureed orange creamsicle cashew coating. The coating was so good. It didn't carry over exactly into the granola after I cooked it, but you can taste a slight orange flavor. If I had stronger vanilla or added a tablespoon, I think it would have been even better. But I do like it. It's a very healthy tasting granola and it made a ton! So you know what I'm eating for the next couple of weeks. 

I liked it..but I'm not sure I would make it again. I want to make a granola with maple syrup and pecans because..it just appeals to me more. 

I found the recipe here.

I forgot to get the dried cherries so I replaced with more cranberries. Also...why do dried apricots taste so much better after they've been roasting in the oven for 30 minutes?

I'm still cooking my way through the foods on Afghan recipes website...only this one I completely didn't follow but still what I made was quite inspired by the recipe. I don't really like "stuffed" vegetable recipes. Pumpkins are in season and I very easily could have stuffed some but I didn't really feel like doing all that work when I know I don't like stuffed veggie recipes. I was going to switch the pumpkin to peppers, but I don't like stuffed peppers either cause they are vegetables too. In theory it sounds good, but it's a texture thing for me. So I made a rice and lentil dish kinda inspired by it with similar seasonings and chicken. It was OK. Very healthy and filling. If I ever got to go to an Afghan restaurant I would order it because I'm 100% sure if I had it prepared authentically it would be delicious.

You can find the recipe here


And that's all..until next weeks post. What will I made next? 

No comments:

Post a Comment