Thursday, December 2, 2021

Miss Jessie's Multi Cultural Curls Review

It's been a long time since I've reviewed anything from Miss Jessie's. For the most part I always found it overpriced for the ingredients and I had a lot more issues with the company back in the day that I had mostly forgot about until I pulled up my old reviews. They seemed to have come way down in price  though.  I needed to buy something though and this was on sale so I  figured it wouldn't hurt to try out. They had two others but I already know that I don't like Jelly Soft curls and I haven't tried this one so into the cart it went.

Miss Jessie's claims:

MULTICULTURAL CURLS™ IS EXCELLENT FOR MIXED HERITAGE & MULTI-TEXTURED CURLS. GREAT FOR SOFT, LIGHTWEIGHT, AND WASH N GO STYLING. If you struggle to find the right products for your multi-textured curls, look no further. Our MultiCultural Curls™ styling lotion is perfect for women who are a beautiful mix of different ethnicities but cannot find styling products that work for their unique multi-textured curls. Some products are too heavy and may leave your textured curls oily and weighed down. Other products are just too light. We know your story well and share your frustration. Growing up as bi-racial babies, we were always searching for just the right product. Now, we celebrate our mixed-race heritage and the curls that come with it. And you can too! Multicultural Curls™ gives your textured curls uniformity and manageability while at the same time fights frizz. Not too heavy and not too light, the perfect balance created just for you! Try it and you will love the beautiful curls that were styled with Multicultural Curls™ “The Best Darn MultiCultural Styling Lotion.” For all multicultural stylists, add this product to your multicultural hair salon. Your clients will love the results!

At Miss Jessie’s, we are the curly-hair experts. All of our natural curl products are free of toxins, parabens, and other harmful ingredients. Accessible, effective curly hair products are our passion and we can’t wait to share them with you.

Made in USA

 I'm probably not the target demographic of this product. It kind of reminds me of something from Mixed Chics...which is another brand I have never been a fan of. I like the way this is marketed, a lot more than I like the way Mixed Chics markets their products.

The reason I went for this one over the others (Jelly Soft and Pillow Soft)  is the scent. The other ones I was able to give a sniff had that laundry scent. I really cannot stand laundry detergent smelling hair, bath products. The only thing I want to smell like laundry is my clothes. This has a light citrus fresh scent that is pretty pleasant and doesn't really linger and stick around anyway. At least not that I notice. 

The texture is like a hybrid cream gel, which I've always had good luck with in the past. 

It doesn't really encourage curls when they aren't already there. I went to Texas for a few days and my hair had less curl/kink definition than it usually has. And this did not whip it into shape. It didn't go back to normal until a few days after I had left Texas. Once my hair started coiling up more, this did then encourage it to form/curl more and define the texture a little more. 

I've found that I like it more the more I've used it.

It doesn't dry my hair and adds a sheen but my hair isn't shiny/glossy. It's not dull either though. 

I usually just slap a large dollop in my wet hair and then go and shake out my hair in the shower. Good to Go. 

The only thing I'm not a big fan of is that is does have a bit of a white/product cast if you put too much. It can take a little while to dry down too. I see that they have a clear version though on the website, haven't seen it in stores. I might give that a try at some point. 

The ingredients aren't out of this world. I think Kinky Curly has the best ingredients of any gel I've ever tried. But I'll give it a pass because the price wasn't terrible ( I got it for eleven and some change) and at least it does have safflower oil (cheap) and olive oil. Checking the website shows a completely different ingredient list...looks like they changed it. Hopefully not for the worse...but it seems so. 

Ingredients:

WATER (AQUA), CETEARYL ALCOHOL, polysorbate 80, AMODIMETHICONE, glycerin, bUTYLENE GLYCOL, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, DISODIUM EDTA, behentrimonium CHLORIDE, HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL,OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL,   CARTHAMUS TINCTORIUS (SAFFLOWER) SEED OIL,  octyl, METHOXYCINNAMATE, bht,  YELLOW 10 (C1 47005), RED 40 (CI16035CAPRYLYL GLYCOLPHENOXYETHANOL, FRAGRANCE (PARFUM),  CITRIC ACID,HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN PG-PROPYL SILANETRIOL, glycerin, alcohol denat, Pumpkin seed extract, soybean seed extract, spirulina maxima extract, seaweed extract,  GLYCERETH-26, 

Overall, I think this might be the first Miss Jessie's product that I actually like. There are definitely still other cream gels that can do the job at a better price, but this is a black owned company, and I don't think the price is as unreasonable as it used to be or is in their older products.

No comments:

Post a Comment