Friday, December 3, 2021

The Marvelettes

 


Another 60's girl group? Yes please. The 60's produced some of the best girl groups....well there were a few in the 70's and the 90's that were pretty great too...however there's no denying that the ladies in the 60's really paved the way. 

I don't have a  ton of favorites but I do really like this group. They really held their own until The Supremes overshadowed them. Still legendary tho...

Please Mr. Postman is a classic. I'm not really sure where I first heard it, but it's the kind of song you hear once and you know forever. I remember having a lot of fun listening to this song in elementary school. What's also crazy is how many songs sound similar to this, the exact rhythm background was often duplicated but nothing really sticks like this song. It is the first number one song from Motown so basically the song that started it all. It's kind fun thinking nowadays...no letters, just text.


Way Over There is one that has been covered by many Motown artists...but the Marvelette version is my favorite. I'm a big fan of Gladys Horton's voice, very unique and recognizable.



And last but not least Smokey penned The Hunger Get's Captured By the Game. Love this one! 



And that's all....

No comments:

Post a Comment