Thursday, April 14, 2022

Dove Purely Pampering Shea Butter Beauty Bar (US Version)



A few years ago I reviewed the shower cream version of this,  and then last year I reviewed the German version- which tends to be vegan compared to the US version. I figured I would round out all the reviews and just go ahead and buy the US version too.

I love Shea Butter. I really do. I will buy almost anything that features it.

Dove claims:

We believe that cleansing should be an opportunity for you to take a few moments just for yourself. That’s why we created the Dove Purely Pampering Shea Butter Beauty Bar, an indulgent Dove Beauty Bar that has the warm, comforting scents of shea butter and vanilla. Formulated with Dove’s gentle cleansers and 1/4 moisturizing cream, the Shea Butter Beauty Bar leaves skin feeling soft and smooth and looking radiant. That’s because this isn’t a shea butter soap bar; it’s a Beauty Bar. A gentle cleanser that cares for your skin as you cleanse, Dove Beauty Bar helps deliver nourishment and leave your face and body feeling soft and smooth and looking more radiant than ordinary soap does. Use your Beauty Bar as a facial cleanser or as a gentle skin cleanser for your body and hands. For best results, rub your Dove Purely Pampering Shea Butter Beauty bar between wet hands and massage the smooth, creamy lather over your skin before rinsing thoroughly. Dove Purely Pampering is a range of skin-cleansing products designed to pamper your senses every single day. With beautiful blends of skin-loving ingredients, Purely Pampering cleansing products create a rich lather with soothing scents that create a relaxing experience that will leave both you and your skin feeling balanced, renewed, and nourished. At Dove, our vision is of a world where beauty is a source of confidence, and not anxiety. Our mission is to help the next generation of women develop a positive relationship with the way they look, helping them raise their self-esteem and realize their full potential.

From what I remember they mostly smell the same but I think this has more of that Dove base smell. It smells a lot of like the Dove Sensitive Skin bar and then the "warm vanilla" scent. It really doesn't smell like vanilla. It just smells like a warm comforting scent...synthetic I guess but not obnoxiously so. I think the scent is OK. 

It lathers nicely. Bubbles up nice and thick...which does make it feel more luxurious. That's probably my favorite thing about it. It rinses cleanly too.

I wouldn't say it's moisturizing, but not particularly drying either. I think the Cool Moisture bar is more  moisturizing. 

It does have some Shea Butter, which is nice. But I don't think it really has the benefit of applying pure unrefined Shea Butter. It's marketing basically. And I definitely fall for it every time. If you want the benefits of Shea, it's probably best to just buy a tub of it and use it. 

I did really like it as a hand soap though. I find that Dove doesn't dry out my hands as much as some other soaps. And I like using them to wash makeup brushes too. 

Bar soaps are a good way to save the world some plastic, and Dove seems to have an initiative to save plastic- using recycled plastic etc. But they wrap their bar soaps in plastic...I don't get it. I wish they would find a plastic free way to package their bars. 

It's not vegan like the German version. Sodium Tallowate (beef fat) doesn't really bother me as an ingredient. But maybe if you are vegan and like using vegan soaps, this version of Dove probably wouldn't be for you. I think I like this one more though than the other version. Or it's in my head and they are basically the same.

Shea Butter oil is in it..but further down the list. And as far as I can tell it's probably not fair trade, which is another strike against it.

Ingredients:

Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Lauric Acid, Sodium Tallowate Or Sodium Palmitate, Water (Aqua), Sodium Isethionate, Sodium Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Cocoate Or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Oil, Sodium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Tetrasodium Edta, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 077891), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140), Yellow 6 (Ci 15985)

Overall, I probably won't buy it again. But nice to try... 


No comments:

Post a Comment