Monday, April 4, 2022

Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish Shadow Primer Review

The one makeup product I absolutely hate buying but have to have at all times. Primer. At least eyeshadow primers last at least a year. Which is nice if you like it, not so much if you don't. And I don't like the Smashbox Primer. At all.

Smashbox claims:

A high-impact eye shadow primer that intensifies color and increases staying power for up to 24 hours. The sheer, translucent finish ensures smooth coverage and long-lasting eye makeup, through workouts and long days.

Made In Canada

The list price is $20. And that's entirely too much for a product that doesn't deliver. 

So I'll start with what I like....it's translucent. I don't have to worry about covering up a tint (looks like ash one me) , it smooths on easily and makes a slightly sticky base that seems like it would be good- for shimmers.


But nope. It doesn't intensify shimmers. They just look average. And matte shadows (mainly purple and blues) tend to oxidize and go on much deeper than they are with other primers or on their own. It also causes patchiness. I have darker patches of color in my crease especially, some of it will oxidize and looks straight up black (specially purples and blues). But unevenly. Matte shades stick to it and don't blend as easily or at all. And some it causes creasing. I thought it was my eyeshadow but then I put my go to primer (Too Faced Shadow Insurance, my fave!) on one eye and this on the other and the creasing and patchiness of the shadows were super obvious on the Smashbox side only. 

I don't think it prevents my shadow from fading or completely changing color by the end of the day. I put on a pink shadow that turned into a purple hot mess by the end of the day. It's a more difficult shadow anyway but this made it 10x worse.

As if that's not bad enough, I really dislike the packaging. The tip of it is just a big open hole. I wish it was more like the Too Faced Shadow Insurance tip. This just looks sloppy and cheap.

I almost forgot...I did watch a review from someone that loved it. And she mentions that she sets the primer. I don't have a translucent powder so I tried with my setting powder and a skin-tone eyeshadow  and that made the shadows muddy, more faded and they still creased in 2 seconds. Even if it had worked I still wouldn't have liked this primer because who needs an extra step when in a rush or even an extra product (costs even more money, I am not buying a translucent powder to try!).

It could be that the primer is largely incompatible with my shadows- maybe they only work with Smashbox or talc free shadows. But I need a product that works no matter the formula or brand.

I don't know much about ingredients as they pertain to primers- this one does have cones in it (Dimethicone) and I had read that it's a no no for eyeshdaow primers. I don't know if it's the cones, I'm sure some of the primers I've used in the past contain it...but maybe not.

Ingredients:

DIMETHICONE, ISODODECANE, TALC, DIMETHICONE SILYLATE, TRIHYDROXYSTEARIN, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, KAOLIN, HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, POLYETHYLENE, VP/EICOSENE COPOLYMER, TRIOCTYLDODECYL CITRATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, LECITHIN, TRIETHYLHEXANOIN, BISABOLOL, SILICA, ALUMINA, ETHYLENE/METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, STEARIC ACID, GLYCYRRHETINIC ACID, PEG-40 STEARATE, ISOPROPYL TITANIUM TRIISOSTEARATE, PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE, MICA, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163) <ILN40419>

So overall, I really disliked the primer. It's one of the worst ones I've tried. I will probably keep it just to use when I'm playing in make up or not going out anywhere. I should just throw it out though...

No comments:

Post a Comment