Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Midnight Star

 


I feel like the 80's was full of groups with "Star" in it. Midnight Star, Atlantic Starr, Starpoint....At one point I was getting them all mixed up. Well, maybe not Atlantic Starr, I knew about their group and most of their songs because my Dad played their greatest hits A LOT.

My intro to Midnight Star was the song Midas Touch. I've been singing it randomly since I've heard it (decades now), I think the trigger for me to sing it is anytime I hear the word gold...Look at all the 80's style fabulousness. Love it! 


Next up, No Parking on the Dance Floor. I listened to this a few times before deciding I loved it. It makes me want to put on my skates and skate, actually I think I will after I'm done with this post...This song kinda reminds me of Cameo? 

Alright, Slow Jam. Ooh wee. Yes! I first heard the version with Monica and Usher (I grew up with that version) ..and that version is great. But..IDk this might be magic? Love, Love, Love, LOVE this song. They tore it up...





Wet My Whistle, it's another 80's style get up and dance song. Can't resist those. Not me. Not ever.



Next up, Operator. I love this song! It's so fun to sing. And makes me think back the days of Operators. I remember in the 3rd of 4th grade (prolly both) calling the Operator to get connected wherever I was calling. Prolly my parents at work๐Ÿ˜ To ask for something for something stupid.

And last but not least, it might be my most favorite. Curious. So heavily sampled. And no matter how many songs sample it or how many times I've heard the sampled songs, I always sing this version over whatever version. The best two that come to mind are What's On Your Mind by Eric B and Rakim (amazing!), and Smile B#$% by Lil Duval with Snoop and more.  I love this one though...I'm pretty sure my Dad played it for me ๐Ÿ˜‚ I was like you like this song because you like Midnight Star's Curious. It took me a minute before I realized it sampled this song though. I was like I KNOW I heard this before.

And now I'm going to listen to Eric B and Rakim's What's on Your Mind, put on my skates and have fun to these songs...

No comments:

Post a Comment