Monday, August 1, 2022

Minnie Riperton

 


Minnie Riperton..one of my favorites. For years I only knew the song everyone knows- Loving You, then my first year of college when I was bored, I decided to listen to her whole catalogue. There's a lot of her music that is just genius and timeless and extremely underrated. 

So of course we will start with Loving You. Written for her daughter Maya Rudolph, who I'm sure everyone knows. I used to try to sing this song, high notes and everything....it was bad. I usually would wear headphones to drown my own self out. She hits those notes so effortlessly though.

This next song is probably my favorite. It's a hot one. Smoking hot. I'm glad I looked it up, I never heard it live and it sounds amazing....I mean she sounds better than the album version and this is not an easy song to sing. Literally has the voice of an angel. 


And again cause I can't get enough...


And this is like a Part 2. I LOVE this song too. It has Deniece Williams in the background. I'm about to listen to this about 5 more times. If it doesn't make you feel like this, you don't want it 😩😂


Next Up, Young, Willing and Able. I love how unique her style was, I don't think I've heard anyone really successfully dupe Minnie's sound/style.


The Edge of a Dream is a really beautiful song. Makes me think of sunny skies, nice, weather, picnics....all the good stuff.


Can I just experience this performance live? I need to buy a time machine...



Oooh, ooh! I love this song, but it's one of the newer songs on my Minnie playlist. So I don't remember it like the others but I just fell in love with it again..I really appreciate all the live instruments on her tracks. It always just sounds so good. 

And last but not least...I think I love this one because of all the tones and layers you can hear in her voice. It's beautiful 😍 Sad song though....


I love Memory Lane too, her voice is truly just amazing. It is sometimes hard to watch this song live, the lyrics and knowing she was in a lot of pain towards the end of her life. I have no idea how she was still performing at this stage of her life. 


An artist, vocalist, musical genius, one of my favorites that was gone too soon. Her life story is one worth checking out as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment