Thursday, September 22, 2022

Monica

 I can't think of Monica without thinking of Brandy and vice versa. I feel like they were pitted as rivals for a lot of my childhood...I think I used to even have a favorite but I can't even remember who it was. Growing up my Dad has Brandy's albums and my brother had Monicas. I didn't have any because I didn't get my own CD player til a bit later on. But I have favorite songs from both. 

My favorite song by Monica is definitely Don't Take it Personal. So many random occasions where I have to bust out in this song. A few years ago I learned it was a remake and was shocked. If you haven't heard Jermaine Jackson's original, Go listen now! I love that version too...


Now Angel of Mine was my sisters favorite for a long time. This is a remake too. I had no idea. I love this one too though...it reminds me of road trips. This was a road trip staple as a kid. Good Times! Also, sounding just like the record...lovely.


I love this song, I'm actually surprised at the views...but then again it is off her best album.

Oooh, oooh, ooh, I almost missed Slow Jam. Another song I didn't realize was a remake. I think I love the original more but the remake is still my jam. Especially since back then I was basically in love with Usher and in my head this was our song 😂 They were so young but they did this song right.

They collabed 2x, this is the second song, also a remake. Love the original and love this version. Again, singing beyond their years. 


This is definitely one of my favorites. I love this song. And lol at those white shoes! They crack me up. 90's style shoes. I do love her haircut though...I kinda want to rock my hair the same way but I don't have the face for it.


Another one from that album. I think Miss Thang might make my top 10 albums. Sometimes I forget how much I love these songs.

Somehow I missed most of her music after the 90's. I went back and listened to her catalogue and found some good songs. This included. I feel like I heard it on the radio a few times. I think I like it because it reminds me of Phyllis Hyman, I think it samples I Don't Want to Lose You which I LOVE. I like this song too though. It's making me want to listen to Phyllis though.

Now this song reminds me of a Jazmine Sullivan (she wrote it). No wonder I love it! But Monica did her thing. More old school sampling- it samples Silly by Deniece Williams perfectly. 


Another Sullivan Collab. With Missy! Yes!!! Sampling Evelyn Champagne King "Betcha She Don't You" another favorite song. Love this one...

I completely forgot about this.  Sometimes I download songs after listening to them once and forget about them. I love the chorus though...I think it makes the song for me. 

U Should've Known Better was worn out on the radio. So Gone was a big hit and I think the follow up was this so it got a lot of radio play.  I think I like it because I've heard it so much...but then again I do like the Chorus. I just like singing this one, except the doing 5 or 10. I don't sing that part....cause I would be out. I don't sing lies 😂

Last one...I can listen to this one a few times in a row. It's one of those I get stuck on and keep replaying....


And that's all! It's actually quite a few songs in the playlist. I need to see if she has released anything since I last checked. I guess I need to go do that now...

No comments:

Post a Comment