Sunday, September 18, 2022

Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa, Victoria Sponge Cake and Almond Butter

 It feels like it takes forever to get to a cooking post...even though I feel like I'm cooking all the time. But here's the "new" stuff I made these past couple of weeks.

First up, shrimp tacos with Mango Salsa. I've never had anything like this so I was pretty excited for it. I made the shells myself -of course because I have a ton of Masa flour I need to use up, I think I over ordered so I will be making various tacos until it's gone. Unless I can find another way to use it. Anyway, the shrimp was really good, I think I over seasoned it a little but better to over season than under season. The mango salsa was really good too! I've never had or made that. Also somehow managed to pick the sweetest mangos out..that helped. Not sure I would make this exact recipe again...but I did like it and might make something similar if I get a craving for shrimp tacos. Recipe here.


Next up, Victoria Sponge Cake. This came from the Harry Potter cookbook...I had never heard of the a Victoria Sponge cake. Apparently it was Queen Victoria's favorite cake. It came out really nice. Although..it's not one of my favorite cakes and I probably wouldn't make it again. I think if you like Jelly Donuts you might like this cake. Jelly Donuts were never a fave of mine. I also whipped some cream with vanilla bean to go with. Mine is super tiny because I scaled it down to a 6 inch cake. I bought the cutest 6 inch pans and I think that's going to be my go to size, I


Last up, I made some Almond Butter. Way back in the day I bought a Vitamix thinking I would be out here making all types of butters. Reality is I made Peanut Butter once or twice a few years ago and forgot about it. I don't eat much Almond Butter- I'm loyal to peanut butter. But it is good. Especially homemade. 
I usually it eat it on Apples. Or on Toast. This one did take about 2 days to really taste good. The first day was kinda rough. The recipe in the vitamix book uses canola oil, which I prefer not to use. If you roast the almonds first you don't need oil at all. I also added a little maple syrup and cinnamon. Because why not? It looks a little dry but it's not.


And that's all! Until the next food post...






No comments:

Post a Comment