Friday, November 25, 2022

Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds Eau De Toilette Review


 White Diamonds. A truly iconic perfume by the icon Elizabeth Taylor. This is my second bottle. 

White Diamonds:

White Diamonds Parfum by Elizabeth Taylor is a Floral Aldehyde fragrance for women. White Diamonds Parfum was launched in 1991. The nose behind this fragrance is Carlos Benaim. Top notes are Aldehydes, White Lily, Orange, Neroli and Bergamot; middle notes are Ylang-Ylang, Narcissus, Tuberose, Jasmine, Orris Root, Cloves, Cinnamon and Turkish Rose; base notes are Sandalwood, Amber, Oakmoss, Musk and Patchouli.

Made in USA

I can't believe this perfume came out in 1991. It kinda smells like an 80's perfume, but close enough I guess. This is my second bottle of White Diamonds. I had a bottle around the 9th or 10 grade. Years ago. My grandpa loved to gift this perfume to nearly every girl in the family and he gave away many bottle of this. It's easy to find in US drugstores at a very reasonable price, especially around the holidays in gift sets which is why I suspect it was his go to.

At that time I had no idea who Elizabeth Taylor really was and I had never even seen the commercial although to my understanding it was heavily played. 

I can't find a really clear version of the commercial. 





White Diamonds is one of the very first celebrity fragrances and started a trend being that we still have celebrity fragrances-Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Queen Latifah, Beyonce, and the list goes on and on. Liz was known for many things- her acting, beauty, diamond collection, many marriages, violet eyes (with a double row of lashes, I'm jealous!), philanthropy, old Hollywood glam and on and on. It makes sense she would launch and be the face of her own perfume.

That's all nice..but I really hate the smell of this perfume. I think it's one of the worst perfumes I have ever smelled. I started hating it in high school but I still wore it everyday until the bottle was gone to get rid of it.  I remember mentioning  to my Mom  how much I hated it and she said she couldn't stand it either, she gave her bottles to my Aunt who loved it. 

I bought this a few days ago because I want to review all of the iconic perfumes. It's fun for me. I thought it would be fun to smell this again and see if my opinion has changed and it hasn't. I still hate it. So much so, I sprayed it on myself once and refuse to ever again.

It has a strong, headache inducing scent. Looking at the notes, I do get the Jasmine which would be nice if it were softer. It also has a ton of other scents that I can't necessarily pick out. I think it has too much going on. Also reading about it having aldehydes makes sense, it reminds me of Chanel N5. Chanel smells better but it's not my type of scent. I think the note I hate the most is the sandalwood. There are some scents where I love sandalwood and others where I kinda hate it. Not sure if it's a certain type but I feel like it's the same type that's in the YSL Opium Perfume. This is much more prominent, especially in the dry down and I feel like that's all I can smell. I hate it. I wanted scrub it off immediately. And of course like all fragrances you don't like -it lasts and lasts and lasts. 

So how have I been using it? I've been spraying it outside....and on the first floor. It's so strong it drifts all the way up to the first floor. And I still hate it. It almost works as a room spray but not quite. Like it almost smells expensive but still has that cloying quality. 

I guess the bottle is alright, I think it changed styles because it's not the same bottle in the ad. It's a very simple bottle, with a "white diamond" look around the neck. I'll keep it in my collection since I do like collecting bottles. 

The best thing about it and really the only good thing about it are that every purchase of White Diamonds Supports the Elizabeth Taylor Aids Foundation. You can learn more here and even make your own donation without purchasing.  I love products/purchases that do that. 


Overall, I wouldn't purchase this again. I really, really hate the scent. But writing the review was fun, and I like that a portion of the funds go to a great cause.  Here's to hoping my bottle is gone soon so I can set it on the shelf and forget about the smell.





No comments:

Post a Comment