Thursday, January 19, 2023

Kiehl's Creme De Corps Body Lotion Review

 

I'm addicted to video games. I've been playing The Last of Us Part II (started with Part 2 first since I got it for only $10 on sale). I do really want to play part 1 but not at $60, I definitely don't want to blow all my money on games, especially since I'm committing to getting Hogwarts Legacy (maybe the deluxe version) the day it comes out. But in the meantime, who would have thought I would have so much fun on what is basically a Zombie games. It reminds me of The Walking Dead, which was a favorite of mine for the first couple of seasons until they killed Glenn. I'm still mad about that. Anyway...Kiehl's.

Kiehl's claims:

What It Is

Beloved since the 1980s, our non-greasy lotion with Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter and Squalane leaves skin feeling elegantly soft and smooth. 

Paraben-free & fragrance-free.

What It’s Good For

  • Fast-absorbing, non-greasy body hydration 
  • Leaves skin soft, smooth and beautifully moisturized 
  • For all skin types, particularly dry skin
  • Made with recyclable packaging

In my mind this lotion is a cult classic because I saw it in an Essence magazine as a kid and the price had me intrigued. I don't remember what the price was back then but this lotion is $22 for a little over four ounces or you can get the 16 oz for $58. It's a ridiculous price especially considering you can get a decent lotion for $4 or even $10. If you really love it, you can go for the huge refill size, which saves money and plastic- but costs $92. I got this on sale (of course) so I paid about $14, which I still consider pricy.

It's been around since the 1980's. Kiehls has been around since 1851.  

It has some good points- the bottles are 30% post consumer recycled plastic, it uses renewable and sustainable cocoa butter (should also be fair trade though!) , and it's made with 100% renewable energy sources. And you can keep and recycle the packaging at a Kiehl's location. 

But what about the product itself. 

I like the packaging, it looks like a classic product. It's a squeeze bottle which isn't my favorite- I think I would rather a pump but pumps tend to not be as recyclable. 

The lotion itself it a nice thick yellow cream. It's not greasy and has a little rub to it. It seems to absorb pretty well and it does leave your skin moisturized. Once it sinks in, my skin just feels normal. Over time it can soften really rough spots but it does need to be used consistently.  

It is fragrance free- which I find myself liking more than I thought I would. 

The ingredients are....numerous. It has a lot of things I don't recognize and a few I do. It does have some silicones, alcohols, hydrogenated oils etc. They do specially advertise Cocoa Butter and it is very interesting to see how far down in the list Cocoa Butter actually is. 

Ingredients: 

AQUA / WATER,HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE,GLYCERIN,COCO-CAPRYLATE/CAPRATE,PROPYLENE GLYCOL,PEG-100 STEARATE,GLYCERYL STEARATE,SQUALANE,STEARYL ALCOHOL,HELIANTHUS ANNUUS SEED OIL / SUNFLOWER SEED OIL,BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER / SHEA BUTTER,MYRISTYL ALCOHOL,PPG-5 PENTAERYTHRITYL ETHER,PEG-5 PENTAERYTHRITYL ETHER,OLEA EUROPAEA FRUIT OIL / OLIVE FRUIT OIL,SESAMUM INDICUM SEED OIL / SESAME SEED OIL,DIMETHICONE,PHENOXYETHANOL,ISOPROPYL PALMITATE,CITRIC ACID,CERA MICROCRISTALLINA / MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX,PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE,CHLORPHENESIN,POTASSIUM SORBATE,GLYCINE SOJA STEROLS / SOYBEAN STEROLS,ARGILLA / MAGNESIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE,XANTHAN GUM,SODIUM PCA,ALLANTOIN,PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS OIL / SWEET ALMOND OIL,PRUNUS ARMENIACA KERNEL OIL / APRICOT KERNEL OIL,THEOBROMA CACAO SEED BUTTER / COCOA SEED BUTTER,PERSEA GRATISSIMA OIL / AVOCADO OIL,TOCOPHEROL,GLYCINE SOJA OIL / SOYBEAN OIL,LECITHIN,ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE POWDER,CI 40800 / BETA-CAROTENE 

Overall, I think it's a nice lotion. But I don't really think it's worth the price. It's just way too expensive and I don't see much to really justify the price, other than maybe brand recognition.  I think for the money I would rather buy The Dream Cream from Lush. 



No comments:

Post a Comment