Thursday, February 23, 2023

Tatcha The Rice Polish Classic Review

 I like having something a little fancier in my skincare routine, makes me feel ike I'm taking better care of my skin and kinda acts like a treat. I'm not  likely to go get a facial- I'm too lazy. And I know the price would quickly build up. So for now, I will stick to splurging on skincare every once in a while. I ordered this from the Tatcha site-with a discount since it was my very first purchase from them. It comes in a mini try it size but I went ahead and decided to just give the larger size a go. 

Tatcha claims:

A water-activated exfoliant of nourishing Japanese rice bran and silk protein that transforms to a creamy foam for a smooth polish and healthy glow.

Our Journey to You

Women in Japan care for their skin with a beauty ritual that is as elegant as it is simple. Delicately polishing skin to a jewel-like luster is at the heart of their daily practice. For centuries, Japanese women have used the milky water from the first wash of rice to prepare a perfectly smooth complexion. The Rice Polish Collection brings this timeless secret to the modern skincare lover.

About Our Packaging

Inspired by kaizen, the philosophy of continuous improvement and learning, we are on a journey toward sustainability. The Rice Polish is packaged in a mono material jar of 30% post-consumer recycled (PCR) plastic for easy recycling. It features a new, easy-to-pour spout made with greater accessibility in mind. This push-to-open spout also better prevents water from getting into the jar, making for a more shower-friendly experience.

The Rice Polish gives your skin a new beginning through non-abrasive exfoliation and pure Japanese ingredients delivered in a cloud-like foam. Finely ground rice bran and papaya enzymes promote natural skin turnover to instantly reveal a smooth, makeup-ready canvas. The pH neutral, amino acid base formula provides effective cleansing without stripping skin of essential moisture or breaking the skin’s barrier function, leaving skin baby-soft and supple. Hadasei-3™, a trio of fermented Japanese superfoods - green tea, rice and algae - helps restore healthy-looking radiance. Ideal for combination to dry skin, The Rice Polish: Classic features silk protein to condition and nourish.

Recommended for: Combo to Dry, Dullness, Uneven Texture, Pores

I've been using this since May and I think I'm finally about at the half way mark. This stuff lasts forever. Which means at least you are getting your value for money. I only use it 1-2 time per week though, I know they recommend it as a daily exfoliant but I don't like the idea of using an exfoliating product that often, no matter how gentle it is. 

I find Tatcha an interesting brand- it's inspired by Japanese culture. And this Rice Polish is Made in Japan. The founder is Asian American. I've read some articles/opinions that mention they think this brand exploits Japanese beauty rituals. I'm not sure I know enough to have an opinion either way so it's not a brand I feel I should boycott at this point. I don't really see that the brand uses any particular imaging to market this product, but I haven't really looked too hard.

I did find This article covers more on the brand. I didn't know the brand was owned by Unilever so that's news to me. I liked thinking I was purchasing from a smaller brand but that's not so anymore. Bummer.

Back to the Rice polish. You get 60 grams- price without a sale is $68. That's pretty pricey. It has a lot to live up to when you consider the price.

The product itself is a fine powder, you add a little water and it foams up. "Wash" your face with it for 60 seconds. Wash off. That's it. 

It's a very easy product to use.

So what have I noticed? The first time I used it, I felt a noticeable difference in the softness of my skin. But I haven't noticed it since that first time using.

I feel this product helps with dullness, it really helps the skin look brighter and I feel like my skin has a noticeable glow on the days I use it. 

I do notice it helps with uneven texture. For awhile I had one really textured cheek. IDK why. I had found chemical exfoliants really help with that. And this is no different. I haven't noticed the texture coming back since I've started using chemical exfoliants regularly. But while this helps, you can get something like The Ordinary peel solution that will help with that too and it won't hurt the pocket so much. The Ordinary stuff is a very strong chemical exfoliant though and this is definitely more gentle. But there are  more gentle ones out there, I just haven't tried enough at this point. 

As for pores- I don't have too many issues with pores..so I couldn't say if it really helps or not.

I was hoping the exfoliating would help with scarring I have on my chin. Not so much. I haven't really found any of the chemical exfoliants to make a noticeable difference though. 

The packaging is nice. It uses some recycled plastic and is supposed to be recyclable. It comes in a really nice box. Mine came with a handwritten note which is always a nice touch. It's easy to pour out (the first time I poured too much so be careful). The packaging is nice and unique-ultimately it's still housed in a ton of plastic.

Is it worth the price? 

Probably now. I like it. I think it would be worth about $30 to me. I could pay that. That's still pricey. But nearly $70 is just too much especially since I don't think it does anything that a cheaper chemical exfoliant  can't. I am very curious to just try rice water. I make and soak rice and so I have Rice Water. I typically throw it out but maybe I should try it on my skin and hair? 


Ingredients: 

MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE, ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) POWDER, SODIUM LAURYL PHOSPHATE, SODIUM LAUROYL GLUTAMATE, SODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE, SODIUM COCOYL GLUTAMATE, LAURYL BETAINE, SODIUM LAUROYL METHYLAMINOPROPIONATE, SACCHAROMYCES/CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF/CLADOSIPHON OKAMURANUS/RICE FERMENT FILTRATE*, PAPAIN, ORYZA SATIVA (RICE) BRAN EXTRACT, SERICIN, HYDROLYZED SILK, HYDROLYZED CONCHIOLIN PROTEIN, PROPANEDIOL, DEXTRIN, PHYTOSTERYL/OCTYLDODECYL LAUROYL GLUTAMATE, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, PHENOXYETHANOL

I will enjoy the rest- and must admit I am curious about a few of the other products in the line but it's not a must have. More of a nice to try once and then move on type of purchase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment