Saturday, February 25, 2023

The Notorious B.I.G

 I have some time to kill so here we are. I wasn't sure if I was going to do a post on Biggie. I like some of his music, but in my mind (I'm probably wrong) he popularized brag rap. And then it seemed like it was the majority of what you heard/hear now. I with it was the other way around where the conscious stuff is more popular, but I get it. Sometimes that's just what you want to hear. 

When I went through Biggie's catalogue I was kind surprised how short it was. But then again, he was murdered at the young age of 24. He had a huge impact for such a short life. I thought after the death of 2pac and Biggie, all the rap beef/killings would stop but have you noticed how short the life expectancy of rappers is today? So many have been murdered the past couple years. It's sad. But before I go on about it...let's get to the music. 

We'll start with Nasty Girl. A post-humous release, I remember when this came out, I remember thinking it was a re release from the 90's. 


Next up, Hypnotize. I loved this song as a kid. Biggie, Biggie, Biggie. Samples one of the biggest, most influential rap songs of all time- La Di Da De. My jaw dropped when I realized as an adult. I heard Biggie's song before Doug E Fresh's song cause of my older brother. 


One of my favorite- Juicy. Samples another favorite song- Juicy Fruit by Mtume.  This might be my favorite Biggie song. 


This one is definitely the 2nd favorite. Every time I listen to this one I walk around saying "I love it when you call me Big Poppa" for about a week. 


Unfortunately for me, I almost always think of the Ashanti song that sampled this- I'm not a fan of Ashanti. So if that song is stuck in my head, I'll put this on. Biggie making being ugly a flex. Gotta love it 😂. This one doesn't get as much love as it should.


And that's all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment