Monday, March 20, 2023

Harlem Candle Co. After Dark Candle Review

I bought this on sale from Nordstrom for around $34. Which is an excellent price compared to what they usually go for. I'm drawn to the company because many of their names/scents are inspired by people/places I am drawn to. This one doesn't seem to be particularly named for any person..more of a mood. 

Harlem Candle claims:

The thought of coming home and luxuriating in your own private world of blissful indulgence is what our After Dark candle personifies.

The sky is inky-black, dotted with just a few winking stars, the night has a beautiful silence. You sink into a velvet embrace of your sofa or your lover and stay there for a while. Your favorite soul music plays low in the background and you bask in the pure joy of this extraordinary moment where nothing else in the universe matters.

After Dark was made for nights like this, and sets the stage perfectly, opening with a burst of sparkling bergamot and golden saffron. An evocative heart of aromatic papyrus, oak and sweet heliotrope evolves magnificently, leading to a warm, sensual finish of smoky oud, Moroccan cedar and sultry amber musk.

Top: Bergamot, Amyris, Golden Saffron
Middle: Papyrus, Oak, Heliotrope
Base: Oud, Atlas cedar, Amber musk

Volume: 11oz

Diameter: 3.25 in 
Height: 4.25 in 
Burn time: 80 hours

Made in USA

That description. I love that they take the time to really describe the candle and feelings it evokes for them. The main notes of this candle are bourbon vanilla and oak. I think this is my first Bourbon/boozy candle. And I really think it nails the essence of a Bourbon. It has the sweetness of the vanilla. There is supposed to be Oak but I don't really know what Oak is supposed to smell like. There are a ton of supporting notes in it too....but I don't really pick them up or they are blended too well. I just get a boozy, sweet scent that is more sophisticated. It doesn't smell cheap at all or like anything you would find in a cheap line.

The problem is...I'm not really into sweeter or vanilla candles at the moment. A lot of the candles I have lately seem to be vanilla and I'm just a little over it. 

 It is a nice quality candle though, if those notes appeal to you I would recommend it.

It comes in a nice box packaging and a sleek black jar. It's quite a large candle (compared to other luxury candles) and it has two wicks so it burns mostly evenly. I did need to foil it because one side was refusing to burn...but that's pretty normal/easy for me to do. This one burns a lot nicer than the Josephine candle- I noticed that candle gets mushroom wicks and will smoke- I don't really get that with this candle.

The scent throw is five stars. You can smell it within minutes of lighting it and the scent travels and fills up a huge amount of space. Quality is there. 

Overall, love the brand. I love supporting black owned business. But I wouldn't repurchase this one because it's just not my kind of scent- I could see this working at a jazz club or something similar. I am going to try the rest of the line eventually and I know I will repurchase the Josephine candle over and over and over again.



No comments:

Post a Comment