Wednesday, March 8, 2023

The O'Jays


Let's talk about one of my favorite, favorite, favorite groups. I love the O'Jays. I'm pretty sure the first time I really saw them and knew who they were, was in The Fighting Temptations movie. Really though, I grew up listening to their songs. Can you imagine going to get your haircut and getting a performance from the O'Jays? I would fall out.


But let's get started so I can share my O'Jay playlist. We might be here for awhile. We shall start with Backstabbers. Which Angie Stone sampled for one of her songs, and for a minute I would always sing that when I heard this . I'm gonna be singing "They Smiling in Your Face" for the next week or so. 


Love Train is a classic. A feel good song that is a must play at the family BBQ.


Who Am I isn't very well known I don't think. But when I was listening through their catalogue this just grabs my ears. I have to listen. Production, lyrics on this song are just captivating. 


I feel like I heard I Love Music a lot growing up. The one will get you moving...


Oooh...Forever Mine is just a heavenly song. If I were to ever get married, this song would be a first dance type of song. Along with about five others 😂 But this is just a beautiful song. LOVE IT! 

How I Wish there was a live version of this. I just love this song. This could have and should have been a single. I just love the build up.


I also heard For the Love of Money a Lot growing up. Those moves are sharp. Music with a a message. 





I love Used to Be My Girl. I keep thinking of Michael Jackson- the last song reminds me of his song Money. And this song reminds me of Michael's My Girl song. Wonder if he was inspired by the O'Jays? How could he not be. Sounds like another I would play at the family reunion. 


Cry Together is one of my favorite songs ever. I remember where I was when I heard this song. It was a few years ago and we were road tripping from Maryland? Or Virgina? IDK, but I had the last half of the drive and I was on the last 30 minute stretch. It was pouring rain. And this came on and I was captivated, mesmerized, enchanted. And wondered how I hadn't heard this song before. I love it. Thank you for the Quiet Storm for helping me discover a fave. I downloaded immediately and have loved it ever since.


This songs goes perfectly after the other. Can anyone belt out those just, juuuuUuuust,  juUST words/notes in the beginning of the song like Eddie Lever Sr? Nope. This one for sure belongs on THE playlist, along with a few Marvin Gaye songs. Another favorite O'Jay song.





And a bonus Christmas song. I always mean to share a few of my Christmas playlists and never do. One of my absolute favorite Christmas songs- I Can Hardly Wait For Christmas.


And that's all...I'm in the best mood ever after all this good music, so I'm off to enjoy more.

No comments:

Post a Comment