Monday, May 1, 2023

Essie Good to Go Topcoat Review

 I recently went through all my nail polishes and got rid of all the sketchy ones I bought on Ebay years and years ago.  I know at least one of them was a fake. I'm not sure why they stayed in my collection for so long. Now I have a lot of room to buy more polishes. I think I've bought 3 so far this year, which is a lot since I haven't really bought any new polishes in years. 

Essie claims:

This ultra-fast-drying top coat seals your manicure in seconds and gives it a wonderfully shiny finish.

The unique formula allows all nail polish layers of your manicure to dry in just a few seconds. So you can now achieve the perfect manicure even at time pressure.

With this super fast-drying top coat, you'll be done in a few moments - and good to go!

Made in USA 


I'm polishing my nails more because this top coat isn't that great. I just haven't had any luck finding a great top coat that I can easily get overseas. My number one is Poshe. I would always get at least three days with that top coat. That is really impressive especially considering my nails are weak and always splitting. Nail polish sticks better to healthier nails.

But let's talk Essie. Essie polishes always come with less than the standard .5 ounce polish. They are cute little bottles that contain .46 ounces so sometimes I think they seem to be a little less than other brands until you price them per ounce.  Otherwise I think their bottles are really cute. 

The brush is amazing! I have mostly old Essie polishes with the thin brush. The brush on this is nice and wide. Once I use the polish up I will clean off the brush and stick it in one of my old Essie polishes. It's a wide brush that has a nice curved end. All polishes should come with that type of brush. It makes applying polish so much easier! 

As for the top coat itself, it's easy to apply but you have to work fast and float the brush because it dries really quickly and won't be as smooth if you don't. It is fast drying- not as fast as Seche Vite or Poshe. And if you only stick to two coats of the color layer it will dry completely so that if I'm polishing at night I don't get sheet marks in the AM. Three coats of color is where it starts taking forever to dry.  I would say it can take about 5-10 minutes to dry to the touch for the most part. 

It's also decently shiny. Not the glossiest. But glossier than my last top coat. It doesn't look too thick on the nails, but it doesn't look thin either. I do find myself wishing it looked more gel like.

The problem is it doesn't last. At first I used it with my OPI colors and only would get about one good day of wear. So I thought using it with an Essie base coat and Essie color would be better but not really. It works better with the new Essie polishes though. I would say I get about two days with a new bottle of Essie color. 

It is clear but mine picked up some pinks/reds and is now a bit discolored. That happens with most top coats though. 

I am about half way through the bottle and haven't had any issues with it thickening...so far so good. I'll update if it does thicken up later on.

Overall, not for me. I'm looking for something I can get my hands on easily that will top the Poshe top coat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment