Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Palmer's Cocoa Butter Moisturizing Lotion Review





 Today seems to be the day where I just don't want to get anything done. I didn't want to work out, somehow I did 40 minutes on the Elliptical. Mostly because I needed to fill my rings for my watch. I'm on an over 700 day move streak. I also don't want to blog. But here I am. Blogging. And I'll probably try to read 10 pages of a book that I don't want to read because it's just one of those days. 

Palmer's Claims:

  • Heals & Softens rough, dry skin with natural Cocoa Butter and Vitamin E for healthier-looking skin
  • 48 hour moisture
  • Vegan Friendly - no animal ingredients or testing
  • Dermatologist Recommended, Suitable for Eczema-prone skin
  • Free of Parabens, Phthalates
  • America's #1 Cocoa Butter Brand
  • 3 out of 4 dermatologists recommend Palmer's
  • Works well layering with Palmer's Cocoa Butter Body Oil and Original Solid Formula
 

Heal and Soften rough dry skin with Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula daily body lotion, crafted with intensively moisturizing Cocoa Butter and Vitamin E.

Proudly made in U.S.A., Palmer's® has been a trusted brand for over 180 years, providing high-quality natural products that are passed down from generation to generation. America's #1 Cocoa Butter brand Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula uses the highest quality natural ingredients for superior moisturization head-to-toe.


I really can't believe I have never reviewed this lotion before. We always had this growing up, along with some Queen Helene Cocoa Butter. When I started buying my own lotion, I went with the cheaper QH version. Which is like water but if you apply a ton of it, it kinda works.  I always preferred the Palmer's version because it smelled better and was a bit thicker. Somehow I even reviewed a knock off version Walmart sold. I picked that one up to make my college budget stretch further back in the day. I've also used Vaseline's version as well as The Body Shop's Cocoa Butter Body Butter. The Body Shop version (discontinued now) was probably my favorite of them all (smelled so good and used Fair Trade Cocoa Butter!). I even make my own DIY mini lotion bars with 100% Cocoa Butter. 

It's one of the best skincare (and dessert) ingredients. 100% Cocoa Butter truly does soften your skin like nothing else! It helps heal dry skin. This....kinda works. Not in the Winter. Not on very dry skin. And it doesn't always soften. It just seems to work sometimes and then other times not at all. I definitely don't get 48 hours of hydrated and soft feeling skin. By the end of the day my skin just feels "regular"....like it could use another application of the lotion. 

It's a thick yellow cream that's so thick it can be tough to get out the bottle. When I was growing up the bottle had a skinny top- which I'm so glad they changed because it makes the product easier to get out. Probably not the best for the environment since it likely uses more plastic. 

It smells amazing. Like chocolate. Edible. Warm and comforting. It might be the best smelling lotion in the drugstore. 

Compared to other higher end lotions I have used, this takes noticeably longer to rub into my skin. But massage is good for the skin, right?  Not so great when you are in hurry though.

I never feel like it's heavy, sticky, greasy etc. It's light and sinks in pretty quickly.

I feel like the ingredients used to be better though? I thought Cocoa Butter used to be higher up on the ingredient list? This does have Cocoa Butter Extract high up in the list. But it also has some things I don't really love seeing in my lotions like Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Cones (Dimethicones) etc which could explain why it doesn't work consistently. I am happy to see things like Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, and Cocoa Butter further down. The site does mention that their Cocoa is sustainably and ethically sourced

Ingredients: 

Water (Aqua), Theobroma Cacao(Cocoa) Extract, Glyceryl Stearate, Petrolatum, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Tocopherol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Peg-8 Stearate, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Butylene Glycol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Cellulose, Sodium Acetate, Fragrance (Parfum), Dimethyl Stearamine, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Stearyl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol, Yellow 5 (Ci19140), Orange 4 (Ci15510), Benzyl Alcohol.

Overall, I am really enjoying using it up, but not sure I would repurchase when my DIY Cocoa Butters do a better job (more work to use though).

No comments:

Post a Comment