Friday, August 11, 2023

Bioderma Sensible H2O Micellar Water Makeup Remover Review


 I resisted buying and trying Micellar water for years and I only have this now because I saw it on a list of most iconic beauty products. I first saw Lisa Eldridge ( I love her youtube channel, jewelry, book, etc )  use it, which makes sense. Make-up artists need ways to clean off and clean up makeup quickly and this seems versatile in that you can use it on a Q-Tip or a cotton bud instead of using a wipe. I don't use makeup whipes especially since they don't degrade....this seems like a better option since you can recycle the plastic bottle (but plastic is not infinitely recyclable and the cotton pad will biodegrade although cotton has it's own issues). 

Bioderma claims:

Iconic cleansing micellar water that effortlessly cleanses the skin to remove dirt, debris, pollution and makeup, while respecting sensitive skin.

Made in France

I thought I would use this to take my makeup off when I am too lazy to wash it off in the sink which is how I get my makeup off most nights. I don't tend to wear a full face most days- I usually just wear eyeshadow/mascara and this does a pretty good job of getting it off without smearing it everywhere or irritating my eyes. 

I tried it once to remove a full face- so I was wearing bronzer, foundation, primer, blush, and setting powder. I used this on some cotton pads to remove. I think I ended up using 3 of the cotton pads to really get everything off. At the end of it, my face felt itchy. Maybe I should have used a fourth pad. I didn't like it for full face butmaybe I should have tried it again but for all the wiping and cotton pad waste, it just seems more effective to use soap and water to remove everything. 

The Micellar water literally feels and looks like water (perhaps a teeny bit thicker). It doesn't have a smell at all. 

It would probably be good for a quick morning wipe if you want to apply makeup but don't want to do a full wash. I think makeup artists likely use it for that a lot too. 

I want to mention it does do a great job with waterproof or difficult to remove mascaras which is where I get the most use out of it from. 

As for the "Micellar" claims- I feel like it's just a bunch of junk science. It's a cleansing water with a name to make it sounds fancier than it is. So I won't copy and paste all the gibberish and claims they make because I don't believe it.

Ingredient list is smaller than I would have originally thought. Nothing in it that I am particularly excited about using on my skin, but it's really just a cleansing water and doesn't make any claims beyond that. It does have Cucumber extract which is known to be calming and soothing to the skin.

Ingredients:

  • AQUA/WATER/EAU
  • PEG-6 CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC GLYCERIDES
  • FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES
  • MANNITOL
  • XYLITOL
  • RHAMNOSE
  • CUCUMIS SATIVUS (CUCUMBER) FRUIT EXTRACT
  • PROPYLENE GLYCOL
  • CETRIMONIUM BROMIDE
  • DISODIUM EDTA. [BI 446]

Overall, I do like it. I use it very rarely so it should last me forever. I've already had this bottle well over a year. Maybe even two years. I probably would buy it again but I do want to try out the Garnier one that is at a better price point first to see how it compares. 


No comments:

Post a Comment