Tuesday, August 15, 2023

North Sea Jazz Festival 2023

 This post is definitely over a month late. Whoops! I've been meaning to do it, but I've just been feeling very lazy lately. But there are some other things I need to review so I gotta get on with it. 

I went to the Jazz Festival this year....I was so excited to see Lizzo, Janelle Monae (she had to cancel) and JILL SCOTT. We also briefly saw a few other people like Seal and Tom Jones Mavis Staples and Buddy Guy (he was amazing). There were smaller groups that we just saw a few minutes to that were jamming but I didn't get their names.

We got to Rotterdam Friday afternoon (the 7th of July) and stayed at the Citizen M. Which is a new to me hotel...it's known for being more affordable- the prices weren't great that weekend though. Really tiny and modern rooms with controllable lighting, large king bed, and not so private toilets. Their night time shower gel is amazing though...I wish I could just buy a gallon of it! The staff was really nice and friendly, breakfast was good (I never go to breakfast but got it free so we went to breakfast), and the location was nice. 



As for the Jazz Festival- it was crowded. So many people and if you want to see any particular person you need to get there at least an hour early. The food was overpriced and some it was bland and nasty. They sold the tiniest cups of water for a large price- for free water you need to go fill up in the bathroom. I just went thirsty most of the time because bathrooms have fecal matter flying around and I can't drink water from the restroom 😩

Jill Scott is my favorite, favorite, favorite! I was so excited to see her perform. My religion is literally Jill Scott songs (kidding....or am I?).  I adore her. So talented. I recorded a lot of her performance and was up at 3 the next morning just rewatching them all with a big silly grin on my face. We started standing there an hour before the show started and stuck it out through the crowd and heat. Worth it though! Would do it again....


We tried bitterballen. Which is a fried beef stew/gravy snack. Not bad. Really loved the mustard....


We also saw Lizzo....I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding her but I'll reserve judgement until a trial or I see some evidence . I'm a big fan of Lizzo, she has confidence, she plays the flute, she makes music that I love. I loved her show....I didn't love the crowd that much because we also got to her show an hour early and a little bit before it started this couple pushed their way in front of us and basically blocked my view with their mega sized heads. I was mad about that the whole time but really enjoyed the show...


I also really enjoyed Little Sims performance. I hadn't really been familiar with her music but I very much enjoyed her show and all the energy she brought to her set. She was worth seeing! 


A few other cool snapshots in Rotterdam.


At Rotterdam Train Station- most modern and cool looking train station I have see.


These houses were interesting. We walked up and through them...


Almost forgot, we tried Dudok's famous Apple Pie. It was pretty good...


Overall we had a pretty great time! 







No comments:

Post a Comment