Friday, November 24, 2023

Thanksgiving Meal: Holiday Wild Dressing, Red Wine Cranberry Sauce, Gingerbread Muffins (Coffee Cream Cheese Icing)

 I cooked Thanksgiving Dinner this year for more than just myself. I made some subs for health/dietary needs so I didn't make a traditional plate. But I'm not one of those people that think you have to stick to the classics or make things the traditional way. There is nothing more I love than trying new things...

So this is what I made:


Collard Greens- I went to two different stores to get them...I love having greens for the holidays. I think they came out better last year but I loved them anyway. I always prep them the night before so they can sit in Vinegar and get really clean hours before I cook them. I might go grab the leftovers after this post. I think I love them so much because they remind me of my grandpa now. When I was a kid..I wouldn't touch them 😁

Candied Yams- I did mostly basic candy yams...just butter, maple syrup (I used Whiskey Barrell aged), and coconut sugar. I skip the marshmallows cause they aren't really necessary. Some years I add nuts but was being lazy this year. They were delicious though! My fave.

I made Red Wine Cranberry Sauce.  I didn't make the recipe as written. I only used a little red wine..I did use vanilla. And cranberry juice. And way less sugar. Maybe I'll follow the recipe exactly next time..but I'm not sure. I just don't know about cinnamon in cran sauce. And I don't want to buy a bunch of limes. It came out bomb though...loved it! Can sauce is my favorite. 

I made Apple Blossom Chicken- That's right. No turkey. I made it before and it was bomb...this was OK. A bit dry like most Turkey. I think I was getting tired. It was OK though.

Last thing on the plate was the Holiday Dressing. It was actually really good. I would just skip making the extra white rice because you definitely don't need it! I thought I didn't like dressing but this changed my mind. Also a great way to use Butternut Squash. I love the sage/butternut combo. So good! 


Last up...a Gingerbread Cupcake. With Coffee Icing. I don't think I like coffee liquor/flavor in cream cheese. It just didn't come out quite like i wanted. It reminds me of the Yoplait Coffee yoghurt. The cupcake itself tasted like homemade ginger cookies. I like them but it's not my favorite cupcake flavor.

And that's all! Not traditional..but I made everything from scratch and I feel like all those hours in the kitchen paid off! 

Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment