Sunday, June 23, 2024

Harlem Candle Co. Speakeasy Luxury Candle Review

 Harlem Candle Co. is one of my favorite candle brands. I've tried a good amount of their candles now and my ultimate favorite was the Josephine which was the first one I tried. I also really enjoyed their Billie Holiday inspired candle...which I think is my third favorite. This one definitely comes in second place. 

Harlem Candles claims: 

SPEAKEASY transports you to Harlem’s clandestine nightclubs and secret lounges during the 1920’s. The intoxicating smell of bourbon and the glamour and bustle of New York City immediately seduces you.

It opens with notes of cardamom, smoked incense, bourbon and pimento berry. A dramatic heart of golden saffron, licorice, plum blossom and tobacco leaves evolves beautifully to a warm, sensual base of aromatic Palo Santo and patchouli. Creamy vanilla and dark chocolate add a gourmand nuance to this highly addictive blend.

Notes: 
Top: Cardamom, Smoked Incense, Pimento Berry 
Middle: Saffron, Licorice, Plum Blossom, Tobacco Leaves
Base:  Palo Santo, Patchouli, Vanilla, Dark Chocolate



The description on this one does it for me! I'm surprised I didn't try it sooner. I bought this in the Macy's Black Friday sale- which it doesn't even look like they carry Harlem Candles anymore- boo. This is the last one in the Haul I have to review and definitely the best of that bunch. 

The first time I lit it, I was not sure about the scent. There was a licorice smell that was coming through very strong. I don't like licorice at all so it was reminding me of eating the candy...eventually it stopped standing out as much and I grew to really enjoy it

But the scent of this is reminiscent of the Josephine candle-yet so different. It almost reminds me of the Bath and Body Works Black Amethyst scent that was my favorite years and years ago. It has a smokiness to it . I don't get any cardamom or spice at all even though it's a top note. From the middle notes I do get plum, a dark plum probably due to the tobacco notes. And of the base notes I was excited to see Palo Santo- I don't know what it smells like but there has been so much hype for it in candles, I really wanted a Palo Santo candle. There is definitely vanilla and dark chocolate, those notes do stand out to me. 

It just blends to make a beautiful, unique, dark and smoky scent that I could imagine in a 1920s nightclub. It's intoxicating and I LOVE it. If any of that sounds like your vibe, you should give this candle a try.

I think Harlem Candle really excels in the throw. I've never had a Harlem candle that I could not smell. And the throw is always almost immediate right after I light. This one will even linger for hours after you blow it out. It's supposed to be a soy candle, which we love to see. I think it has a few other waxes in there as well since it doesn't burn like a 100% soy wax.

The only thing I dislike about the Harlem Candles are that they do tend to smoke and soot after awhile so you have to keep any eye on them. And with the two wicks they seem to burn down quickly. I have found I really prefer the slow burn of a one wick candle. I do see that have released a one wick version of most of their candles so I will have to check it out.

The packaging it always nice. Love the boxes that come with a map of Harlem on it. And I like the glass jar- although most I tend to place in the recycle bin once burned. I might keep this one though because I love the color of the glass 

I love this candle and it's one I would repurchase. I am trying to stretch this candle out so I won't be finishing it anytime soon (that's how you know I love it) and I do plan to keep trying more from the brand. I want to try them all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment