Thursday, July 4, 2024

Maison Louis Marie No.1 Scalpay Candle Review

 I've burned down most of my candles so I'm due for a bit of a restock- I have already ordered about three more so I'm hoping they get to me quickly. I bought this when I ordered the perfume oil sampler set. I had heard great things about the candles and I think the prices aren't too terrible for just one candle-especially if you can get it on sale.

Maison Louis Marie claims:

Named after a family relative's Scottish Isle, Scalpay is inspired by hundreds of acres of diverse coniferous woodlands, freshwater lochs and burns. This scent embodies a summer seaside fragrance with an herb accord of Lavender and Lemon Grass complimented by warm Amber Musk notes.

Top note: Lemon, Beach Grass
Mid note: Lavender, Lemon Grass, Summer Herb
Base note: Amber Musk




I didn't know which candle to get so I just went with No 1 Scalpay. I knew based on the notes that I probably wouldn't love it...but I wanted to try it anyway. The main notes are lemon grass, beach grass, and  summer herbs. Not my type of candle...I tend to like more night time fragrances over daytime scents. The exception are floral scents and maybe citrus. 

And I was right about it not being my type of scent. It's one of those beach/sea/aquatic scents. I don't think it's terribly unique...but I don't really know of a dupe either. It's also a forgettable scent- at least for me. I burned it for awhile yesterday and today I don't remember what it smells like except that watery and beachy daytime scent that most suits a sunny day with the windows open. I do think the scent is nice quality...and I think it smells right for the price point. It's just not something I would buy again. I will say it does smell more complex when you sniff the cold scent than when you light it, some of the notes that I think I would have enjoyed more just get lost.

As for quality- I do think the quality if pretty great. So I definitely plan on trying them all at some point. It comes in a clear glass jar with the brand name printed on it- no stickers! The packaging and brand are very minimalistic and I really like that. Fits in everywhere. It's a decent size...maybe on the smaller side. But the glass is filled to the top so I feel like it has a great burn time. 

It's a soy wax blend..and burns pretty cleanly as long as you keep the wick trimmed.

Also..the scent strength is nice. Nothing worse than getting an unscented candle and this definitely fills my space nicely. I would say the scent throw is medium. 

The scent wasn't for me but I do like the quality of the candle. I also think the price is not so bad for a more high end candle- if it was a few dollars cheaper that would be even better. Next time I see a sale I will definitely grab a few more to try! 


No comments:

Post a Comment