Saturday, October 22, 2016

Natural Alternatives to Lush Soaps

I'm so happy it's Friday. All I plan to do this weekend is get caught up on American Horror Story. It's on Netflix now, and I'm just going to marathon the 6th season. In the meantime, I thought I might try to come up with alternatives that are natural (and cheaper!) to some of the Lush soaps I've tried. Lush was my first venture into fun soaps. I originally thought Lush was a natural brand, but some of their stuff contains the same stuff that most commercial stuff does that I try to avoid. You are basically just paying for cute colors, names, etc. Nowadays I prefer something with more natural ingredients, so this is my list. I'm thinking it will be a work in progress, because I'm not sure how many alternatives I can come up with...so we'll find out together!



1. Lush Snowcake- I'll start with the first one I tried. I I read so many great reviews, and then when I got it I really, really didn't like the scent. It smelled like bathrooms to me for some strange reason, bathrooms and foot lotion. But it's supposed to smell like Almonds. The best smelling Almond soap I've smelled is From Zum Bar. Just a warning, this one dried my skin out so I needed moisturizer!  I bought my Zum Bar for around $4 for 3.5 ounces, while the Lush rings in at $8 for the same amount. Notes: This year it's called Snowcastle and the ingredients look a little different but still have some not so great things in it.

Zum Bar ingredients:
Saponified 100% food grade olive, coconut, palm & castor oils, in a goat's milk base, pure essential oils, and mineral pigments.

Lush Snowcake ingredients:
Water, Propylene Glycol, Rapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Fragrance, Sodium Stearate,Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Hydroxide, Titanium Dioxide,Benzoin Resinoid, Rose Absolute, Cassie Absolute, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, EDTA, Tetrasodium Editronate,Benzyl Benzoate,Potassium Silicate, Iron Oxides, Iron Hydroxide.


2. Lush Bohemian Soap- Yet, another soap I wasn't impressed with. It was a lemon soap...except it had barely any lemon. I know I can recommend a better alternative! It's not straight up lemon, but lemongrass. Same effect, bright and uplifting! It's Plantlife Lemongrass soap...and definitely worth a try. High quality ingredients and $4 for 4 ounces. This also works as an alternative to Lush Sexy Peel. Bohemian cost around $8 for 3.5 ounces. 

Plantlife ingredients:
Agua (Water), Saponified Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Saponified Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Saponified Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Kernel Oil, Saponified Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Organic Matricaria)Flower Extrract, Proprietary Blend of 100% Pure Essential Oils, Carthamus Tinctorius (Organic Safflower) Flowers & Bixa Orcellena (Organic Annatto Seed) Flower


Lush Bohemian Ingredients:
Rapeseed Oil (Brassica napus) ,  Glycerine ,  Water (Aqua) ,  Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera) ,  Sorbitol Fragrance ,  Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum) ,  Sodium Stearate ,  Sodium Chloride ,  Sodium Hydroxide ,  EDTA,  Tetrasodium Etidronate ,  *Citral ,  *Limonene *Linalool . *Occurs naturally in essential oils


3; Lush Mr. Punch Soap- Umm, yeah another scent I didn't like. There seem to be a lot of those. I didn't realize how many until this post. This smelled very fruity and boozy at the same time. As an alternative, I'm just going to pick my favorite fruity scented soap. I LOVED this soap. It's Blackberry Sage soap by Lux Naturals. Best fruity soap I've ever tried. No booze, but who needs it? I got a decent sized piece from Whole Foods for around $2, although its priced a bit higher on the site. Still not as much as Lush. I think Mr. Punch was around $6-7. Not sure they make it anymore. But I have an alternative anyway!

Lux ingredients:
Saponified- Coconut Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, Olive Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Organic Sustainable Palm Oil, Castor Oil. Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil, Fragrance*, Mineral Pigments. *Phthalate Free. 98% Natural

Lush Ingredients:
Water, Proplene Glycol, Rapeseed and Coconut Oil, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Gin, Juniper Berries, Juniper Berry Oil, Black Current Absolute, Lime Oil, Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Geraniol, Cotronellol, Limonene, Linalool, Titanium Dioxide, Gardenia Extract, Colour



4. Lush Honey I Washed the Kids- Finally, a soap with a scent I LOVED! The only problem was it was not strong enough for me. Other than that I loved the design of the soap. I loved it so much I bought a dupe off Etsy, but that didn't quite measure up. It's not easy to find an exact dupe of this, so I chose South of France Orange Blossom Honey since it has two elements, the citrus (kinda), and the honey. No toffee! But it's the best dupe I've got! I love the South of France soap, and it's $3-4 for 6 oz, while the Lush rings in at $8 for 3.5.


Lush Ingredients:
Honey Water, Propylene Glycol, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Hydroxide, Perfume, Beeswax, Sweet Wild Orange Oil, Bergamot Oil, Aloe Vera Extract, Glycerine, Sodium Chloride,  EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Gardenia Extract, Titanium Dioxide,Limonene, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate

South of France Ingredients:
Saponified mass balance sustainable palm oil, saponified coconut oil, vegetable glycerin, organic shea butter, natural colorants, blends of natural essential oils and fragrance.

5. Lush Sexy Peel- I liked Sexy Peele since it was bright, zesty, and in your face. At least until you used it in the shower. Then it was like "Where's the scent?". You got a little whiff, not nearly worth the price. I have two great alternatives. Biggs and Feather Lemon Bar, and Dead Sea Minerals Lemon Sage. Much better. Cheaper. And natural. Skip the Lush and go for those instead. I got the Biggs and Featherbelle one for $3 and some change and the Dead Sea one about the same!

Biggs and Featherbelle Ingredients:
Distilled Water, Saponified Oils (Soybean, Coconut, Palm, Olive & Shea Butter), Annatto Seed Powder, Vitamin E & Lemongrass Essential Oil

Lush Sexy Peel Ingredients:
Water, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Propylene Glycol, Cornstarch, Organic Lemon Peel, Organic Orange Peel, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Hydroxide,Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Fresh Organic Lemon Juice,Fresh Organic Orange Juice, Organic Lime Peel,Lime Oil, Perfume, Grapefruit Oil, Fresh Organic Lime Juice, Lemon Oil, Glycerine, Sodium Chloride,EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, *Citral, *Geraniol,*Citronellol, *Limonene, *Linalool


I think we will have to stick with five for today! But no worries there will be a part two. There are some soaps I won't even try to find alternatives for- Rockstar  and Godmother, I'm looking at you! At least not at this time, I already know I haven't tried any candy smelling natural soaps. But if I ever do, I'll make sure to update. And I'm kind of bummed I don't have a suitable alternative for Lush Porridge, which is one I really liked. I almost had one until I realized it was discontinued. 

So what do you think? Have you tried Lush soaps? Would you go for a more natural (and cheaper) alternative? Let me know in the comments!




No comments:

Post a Comment