Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Irish Spring Original Deodorant Soap Review



This soap reminds me of my grandma's house. I don't think my grandma ever used Irish Spring (not sure), I know she used Dove but this was always in the house for my Uncles and great Uncles. As soon as I opened up the bar, it made my whole bathroom a trip down memory lane. It really does just hang around and scent the whole room, even the hallway. It's strong! 

Irish Spring claims:

Feel clean, smell serene with Irish Spring Original Clean Bar Soap.

 

Benefits:

  • Irish Spring Original Clean, the new name for our Original bar soap, has a fresh look and a great smell
  • Has flaxseed oil
  • This bar soap for men is mild for skin, so you can feel as great as you smell
  • 98% naturally derived formula that’s paraben, phthalate and gluten free
  • This men’s bar soap has a sudsy lather that washes away bacteria and can be used as a hand soap
  • Recyclable carton 
  • Made in Mexico


It's  heavily marketed towards men. And it is a masculine scent. But it's also just a super fresh masculine scent...that makes it unisex. Or maybe it's just in my head. IDK. I have a love hate relationship with the scent. Sometimes I think it's way too chemical/artificial and overpowering and sometimes (mostly in the shower) I really like the fresh clean scent. I mainly just like the trip back to grandma's house based on the scent memory. 



I also really like the color, it's green, and the shape because it's easy to hold.

It's in bar form..so less plastic. Comes in a box that is easily recycled but still overall wrapped in plastic. Wish it was a truly plastic free option. 

It is extremely foamy and lathery with just a little bit. I really like that about it. I don't like the soap scum though....it seems to build up quickly and it's always hard to scrub out.  It also seems to last really well. That could be because the last soap I used was Lush and it melts down in about 5 days. And is pretty pricy compared to this. You can get 2-3 weeks from one bar depending on how you shower. 

It cleans and freshens like no other soap. Squeaky clean you will be. At first it really dried my skin out, I think my skin is more used to it now...but lotion is a must. Not optional whatsoever. I should try out the Aloe or the Moisture one to see if it is kinder to my skin.

One thing I really like about it is it doesn't go all mushy like some softer soaps....It keeps it's shape really well.

The history is pretty interesting. It first came out in 1970 in Germany and was brought to the US two years later. Nowadays, it's nowhere to be found in Germany. Not sure when it left but I've never seen it in a German store. 

It's heavily marketed using actors with Irish accents (bad accents at that), somewhere in Ireland next to some springs. It's not Irish whatsoever and according to Wikipedia, most Irish people have never heard of it. 

This commercial markets to both men and women, and contains some jargon about two deodorants. Yeah...ok.


It's been said Irish Spring will keep rodents away...so I have read stories of people sticking bars in places to keep mice out. I can't test that (thank goodness!). No mice problems here.

It claims to be 98 percent naturally derived...I guess that's true. The two percent must be the "deodorizing ingredient".


Ingredients:
Sodium Tallowate and/or Sodium Palmate, Sodium Cocoate and or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Tallow Acid, Coconut acid, Fragrance, Salt, Pentasodium Pentetate (deodorant ingredient) , Titanium Dioxide, Green. 

Overall, I kinda like it but sometimes hated it. I will probably still try other versions of the soap and may even repurchase this later on, just because sometimes I want to feel like a kid visiting their grandmas house again. It's a nice memory for me...

A nice natural alternative, although much more expensive would be the Oak Moss soap by A While Soap Bar. If you like Irish Spring, I think you would like that soap

No comments:

Post a Comment