Sunday, October 1, 2023

Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo Review

Quick post because I am exhausted...but I really need to finish making the dinner I'm started at around 3 this afternoon - it's now 8.00 p.m. Unfortunately I picked a very long drawn out recipe so  I am still waiting on everything to be done. While I wait, figured I would knock out a post. Especially since this Aveda Shampoo is about to run out.

Aveda claims:

Purifying shampoo gently clarifies hair, leaving it feeling squeaky clean, reset and shiny.

OUR PRODUCTS ARE FREE FROM:  Animal derived ingredients, phthalates, parabens, mineral oil, petrolatum, formaldehyde & donors, paraffin, synthetic fragrance, microcrystalline wax, coal tar, triclosan and triclocarban

Gently clarify normal to oily hair with this 97% naturally derived* clarifying shampoo. Your hair will feel squeaky clean, reset and shiny.


KEY INGREDIENTS
Micelles gently remove product buildup and impurities. White vinegar helps purify.


ICONIC AROMA
Invigorating aroma of certified organic rosemary, peppermint and spearmint is proven to energize, awaken the senses and improve focus.


FREE FROM:
Silicone
Phthalates
Parabens
Synthetic Fragrance
Mineral Oil
Petrolatum
Formaldehyde
Animal Ingredients 

I bought this because I really liked the last Aveda Shampoo and Conditioner I had and this was on sale. It came with the hand cream and the conditioner as well so I picked it up because I love a good "value" set. I'm not ready to review the conditioner- I've barely used it but since the shampoo is about to run out, figured I may as well review it before I use it up and forget everything about it. 

So we will start off with scent. Aveda is known for their spa like scents and this one is really nice. It smells like it was scented with real essential oils and has a nice, uplifting, awakening minty smell. It's not overpowering though, it's just very nice and pleasant when you shampoo. I like the scent. It's also available in the same scent as a soap from the brand.

The texture is a thinner gel. It doesn't have a lot of lather power so I find myself using a lot...probably too much to get it going. Usually on the 2nd shampoo is creates some lather. It's not really my favorite though. It kinda reminds me of the Trader Joe Tea Tree line I tried years ago. I think that one might have been inspired by the Aveda brand.

I think this is more meant as a clarifying shampoo that you only use every couple of weeks to get rid of product buildup on the hair. It cleans OK. I like that it's not as stripping as other clarifying shampoo I have tried in the past. Actually my hair doesn't feel stripped at all. But it does feel slightly more tangled than I would like. I guess that might be because it's not really meant for my hair type. I think it would probably best suit the normal to oily hair that it's meant for but I just couldn't resist that sale! 

I almost forgot to mention, it's a slight tingle to it, so it feels very refreshing to use. Especially in the summer months.

Aveda seems to be trying to do some good things as company- the bottle is made of recycled plastic. And is recyclable once empty. They power their facility with 100% wind power...among some other great stuff.

I like the Aveda brand and my favorite thing about Aveda is that it does not use Silicones. I always find cones in hair products to coat my hair and eventually dry them out so I prefer hair shampoo,  conditioners, and styling products to be free of them. They also don't contain SLS, which I don't think my hair or scalp like. They seems have a milder version of the lather producing ingredient. 

Ingredients:

Water\Aqua\Eau, Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Glycerin, Babassuamidopropyl Betaine, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Menthol, Camphor, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Sodium Gluconate, Polyquaternium-4, Vinegar\Acetum\Vinaigre, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Cocamidopropylamine Oxide, Fragrance (Parfum), Linalool, Limonene, Isoeugenol, Benzoic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate <ILN50002>

Overall, this wasn't for me. But I was always curious about it so I'm glad I tried it.


UPDATE- I bought another bottle strictly to use when I need to clarify...usually when I am straightening and using silicones- or when I want my deep conditioner to work better. I think this may become a staple just for that reason, it is slightly drying but not as bad as most drugstore equivalents and the shine is unbeatable. I will just deal with the tangles until I try something better.



No comments:

Post a Comment